Chapter 16

Ice exploded over the deck, a chill descending over the ship. The sea serpent screeched and launched itself away from the Pearl, a large icicle sticking out through the top of its snout. Jim only saw a glimpse of Jamie falling before a bright flash of blue light nearly blinded him. He heard the crack of ice forming, and then waves swelling as the serpent circled the boat.

"Jamie!" Olivia shouted, clutching the side of the boat. Frost had formed on the deck, the cold nearly unbearable. Flakes of snow were drifting through the air and blocks of ice were starting to form on the water. "Jamie get off the ice!"

Jim blinked the spots out of his eyes, managing to catch a glimpse of Jamie on a lone little island of ice. He realized the son of Skrael must have caught himself on it right before he hit the water. "Dude, come on!"

Jamie stood, swiveling on his little platform as a dark shape circled the water below him.

"Jamie!" Douxie shouted. "Get back on the boat—"

The serpent exploded out of the water again, diving for the half-blood. Olivia screamed as it dragged Jamie into the water with it. Jim clutched the rail, adrenaline pumping through his veins. He had to do something.

More ice exploded from the sea. The serpent was launched straight out of the water, ice frozen onto its scales. Jamie broke the surface moments later, spluttering and soaked but otherwise okay.

"Come on!" Aja shouted, hanging off the side of the boat, reaching two hands out to him. "Jamie!"

Jamie shot his hand out, an ice block forming. He climbed onto it and used it to give him momentum as he started sprinting across the water, ice forming under his feet. The ice thickened and started spreading over the sea. The boat shuddered and rocked to the side as ice pushed against the hull.

An enraged screech echoed and the sound of the ice splintering sent a shiver down Jim's spine that wasn't because of the cold. Jamie jumped at the last second just as the serpent came bursting from below the ice, sending large chunks of it flying. One chunk the size of Aaarrrgghh's head crashed into the Pearl's hull.

Aja caught Jamie with two hands and used the other two to haul them back onto the deck, though the ship was becoming way less safe than it had been moments ago. They tumbled onto the deck as the serpent dove for the Pearl.

It wrapped itself around the ship, long body squeezing. Wood splintered and water started rushing in.

Jim yanked the Amulet out of his pocket and shouted the incantation. Armor wrapped around his body and Excalibur appeared in his hands with a flash. He charged the slimy body constricting itself around the ship.

Somewhere to his left, he saw Carter doing the same, though he was going for its head, which had surfaced somewhere near the back of the ship. Where Douxie was. Jim slid under one wriggling part of the serpent's body, slicing at its underbelly.

The serpent screeched, but didn't let go.

Dark blue liquid spattered against the deck, followed by sizzling yellow venom that bore holes into the deck upon impact. Someone yelled and Jim turned to see Douxie being flung into the water.

Fire scorched the air and the serpent screeched again. Archie dove out of the way before it could snap him up in its massive mouth. Fenris sunk his teeth into its body, snarling as the sea beast shrieked in pain.

Something in the depths below them rumbled, causing the ship to shudder and shake. Jim stumbled as the Pearl listed to the side. Water rushed in around him.

Douxie broke the surface of the water right next to the ship. Jim lost sight of him moments later, but could hear him scrambling up the rope ladder.

Something fast and big suddenly came barreling towards them, just under the surface of the water. It left giant wakes smashing against the ship before dipping far enough below the surface that Jim couldn't see them anymore.