Chapter 17

"He called you sire," Carter said as they were making their way down the hall."

"I noticed." Jim glanced at him. "Is he usually that—"

"Intuitive? Yeah." Carter nodded. "He's always been smart. But because you're Nimue's chosen king, and his dad is her twin brother, I think he can just tell instantly because magic and shit."

Jim looked at him oddly. "Thezius is Nimue's twin?"

"Yes." Carter stopped when Douxie tugged on his sleeve. They'd stopped in the doorway of a bedroom with a double bed, and some weird 80s poster taped on the wall. Carter's eyes lit up when he saw it. "Oh my gods, he kept that?"

Douxie was smiling. "I was wondering where that went."

Jim smirked. "Guess this is your stop."

"Yeah," Carter wasn't even looking at him. He was looking around the room, taking in the tiny nostalgic touches Pantelis had put in there. Jim figured that Pantelis had hoped Douxie and Carter would be staying here one day. "Gods I missed this kid."

Jim squeezed his shoulder. "Get some sleep." He glanced at Douxie, narrowing his eyes. "And I mean actual sleep. No canoodling."

Douxie rolled his eyes. "Come off it, we're adults, we can do what we want."

Jim made a "I'm watching you" gesture and continued down the hallway to find Claire.

***

It took Douxie an embarrassingly long minute to figure out how to shut the door. Carter had to show him how. Turns out it was an inconspicuous button and the door slid closed.

"Right," Douxie smiled at him. "You look happy."

"I am," Carter said, still taking the room in. "I was... I was starting to think the worst had happened before Pan sent that message. I'm glad they're okay."

"Me too."

Carter sighed. "We missed four years, Douxie."

"I know," Douxie drew him in close. "I know, love. I know how much you missed them."

Carter let himself relax against the wizard. "It sucks when your kids don't listen to you."

Douxie chuckled, kissing the top of Carter's head. "Glad that joke has stood the test of time."

Carter snorted, wiggling out of Douxie's arms just enough to look him in the eye. His mouth opened and closed, and he suddenly got an odd look in his eye, averting his gaze. Douxie's heart clenched in his chest.

"My love," Douxie said gently, tipping his chin up to make Carter look at him. "What's wrong?"

Carter let out a little shuddering sigh, mouth snapping shut. His hands pressed to Douxie's chest, pushing him away. "I'm tired. Can we just... sleep?"

"Yes," Douxie said instantly, trying to mask the hurt shooting into his heart. He wasn't normally hurt if Carter was not in the mood for sex, but he was hurt that Carter was intentionally pushing him away. Something was wrong, and it was killing him that Carter wouldn't tell him what it was. "Of course we can, my darling."

Carter gave him a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes and turned to sit on the bed and take off his shoes. "I wish we'd brought a change of clothes."

Douxie smiled thinly, tugging off his jacket. It had been dried to about the best of their ability, but it was still slightly damp. "Yeah, but I guess we can worry about that later." He untied his shoelaces, kicked off his shoes, and climbed onto the bed next to Carter. He held a hand out, waiting for Carter to take it so he could pull him in for cuddles.