Chapter 6

Carter burrowed a little deeper against Douxie's chest, desperately trying to block out the world and what would await them the second they stepped out of their room. He was just so tired. He wanted to rest from the constant fighting and battles. He was exhausted and he just wanted to rest. But it never seemed to end. There was always something.

"Cariad, are you crying?" Douxie asked him softly. He'd been gently caressing Carter's back, but had paused, hands splaying flat against his spine. "You're shaking."

"No, I'm not crying." Carter said, though he was definitely close to it. "I'm just... so tired. I don't want the world to need us anymore. I just... I want a quiet life with you, Douxie. I want to marry you, and finally settle down."

"I know," Douxie sighed, gently kissing the top of his head. "Just one more quest, darling."

"Are you so sure?" Carter asked. "Because what about after that? What's going to happen next? You and I both know it's never going to end. We'll never not be needed."

Douxie paused for a long moment. Then he tugged Carter closer to him, burying his face into his hair. "You're right... I wish it could be that easy. We'll never stop, will we?"

"No," Carter admitted, closing his eyes. "I really don't think we will. I don't think we have that luxury. Especially not now with Jim being a king."

"And he's going to need us," Douxie sighed. "I'm sorry, love. I wish I could give you what you want."

Carter kissed the dip of his collarbone. "Even if I can't have all of it, Douxie? Just having you is enough. You make everything worth it."

"I love you," he murmured. "Carter, I love you."

Carter smiled. "I know. I love you too, Douxie."

Douxie pressed a kiss to his hair, then forehead, then his cheek and the tip of his nose, and finally his lips. Carter hummed softly, breathing deeply as Douxie's hands ran up his back, tugging him closer. He was turned over and pressed against the mattress, heat flooding his chest as Douxie kissed him a little harder.

Carter really didn't want to leave their room. Douxie's body was warm and comforting, as were his arms as they wrapped tighter around his waist and back. Carter smiled into the kiss Douxie was pressing against his mouth. He could almost forget about what they needed to do... almost.

"We should probably get going," Douxie suggested as he pulled back from the kiss.

"Yeah..." Carter was playing with a strand of Douxie's hair at the nape of his neck. "We should."

Neither of them moved.

Carter gently stroked Douxie's jawline and just looked at him for a while. He was so fucking pretty. Like, actually the most gorgeous man Carter had ever seen in his life. He loved the little splash of freckles across Douxie's nose and cheeks, his crooked grin, and the way his nose wrinkled when he was upset. Carter loved everything about him.

He gently stroked a line down Douxie's neck, trailing his fingers across his bare chest. Douxie's fingers twitched against his hips, and his breath hitched quietly. Carter smiled, brushing his hair out of his eyes with his other hand.

He'd always loved Douxie's eyes. They were this beautiful swirl of gold and green that sparkled with mischief, but had also always held so many secrets behind them. You could look into his eyes, and you knew his was an old soul. In fact, that had been Carter's impression of him when they first met. He'd noticed Douxie's eyes first, and thought, "He has secrets." Turns out, he'd been right. Douxie had a lot of secrets. Carter just hadn't been prepared for how many.