CHAPTER 23

(Ella's POV)

As soon as I'd entered the room, I was locked up.

I tried banging on the door & yelled for help but it didn't seem like anyone was gonna show up anytime soon.

I desperately began looking for another way out.

Before I could even react, I heard a voice in my head that sent a chill down my spine.

It sounded familiar, like a sword against a stone: Kronos...

'Hello child. Haven't you still understood that you've been on the wrong side all this time? Such a shame...you should be with someone as powerful as me. Join me & help me rule the world!'

"No! Leave. Me. Alone." I say before breaking free from his telepathic hold & falling down to the ground on my knees..

A few minutes pass before I manage to get back up & stumble over to the only window in the room.

When I was looking out the window I heard a loud commotion from the next room...the same room where I'd left Percy...

Just as I reached the door I heard the lock click open on the other side only to see Annie on the other side with her bronze knife in hand.

But...

I almost didn’t recognize her. She was wearing a sleeveless silk dress like C.C.’s, only white. Her blond hair was newly washed, combed & braided with gold.

Worst of all, she was wearing makeup, which I never thought Annie would be caught dead in. I mean, she looked good. Really good. But there was also something totally wrong about it. It just wasn’t her.

"Hurry. Up." She ordered. "We've only got a minute to figure out which guinea pig is Percy."

"Guinea pig??" I asked in disbelief.

She didn't reply but instead grabbed my hand & pulled me with her.

She rushed over to a cage & said. “All right, which one is you?"

Annie began looking desperate.

She asked me to hand over the bottle of multivitamins & popped a lemon chewable in her mouth just as the door flew open & C.C came back in, flanked by two of her business-suited attendants.

“Well,” C.C sighed, “how fast a minute passes. What is your answer, my dear?”

“This,” Annie said, and she drew her bronze knife.

C.C stepped back, but her surprise quickly passed. She sneered.

“Really, little girl, a knife against my magic? Is that wise?”

Wait....magic?

Oh no...C.C actually would mean Circe!

Circe looked back at her attendants, who smiled. They raised their hands as if preparing to cast a spell.

Run! I wanted to tell Annie, but before I could Circe said.

“What will Annabeth’s makeover be?” She mused. “Something small & ill-tempered. I know...a shrew!”

Blue fire coiled from her fingers curling like serpents around Annie. I watched, horror-struck, but nothing happened. Annie was still herself, only angrier.

She leaped forward & stuck the point of her knife against Circe’s neck. “How about turning me into a panther instead? One that has her claws at your throat!”

“How!” Circe yelped.

Annie held up my bottle of vitamins for the sorceress to see.

Circe howled in frustration. “Curse Hermes & his multivitamins! Those are such a fad! They do nothing for you.”