CHAPTER 25 (Part-2)

(Ella's POV)

The moment Percy jumped of the ship I felt my heart jump into my throat.

Sure yeah I know that he's the son of the sea god & all, of course I know that!

But just picture your crush jumping off a high building or something?

Exactly!

That's what I felt...phew...

Anyways..moving on..

As soon as he jumped off the ship I did the first thing that came to mind: I screamed.

Didn't really make a difference because by then he was already in the water. Percy had somehow managed to catch up to Annie.

And at some point I noticed him submerging themselves underwater, after which they had disappeared for a good ten minutes.

Now I knew the fact that Percy could breathe underwater, but Annie couldn't! That's what got me worried.

But I trusted the fact that Percy wouldn't let anything happen to her either.

I flinched as one of the rope ladders suddenly dropped over the side of the ship, & they climbed aboard.

Percy & I kept my earplugs in, just to be sure. We sailed until the island was completely out of sight. Annie sat huddled in a blanket on the forward deck.

Finally she looked up, dazed & sad, & mouthed, safe.

We took out the earplugs. No singing.

The afternoon was quiet except for the sound of the waves against the hull. The fog had burned away to a blue sky, as if the island of the Sirens had never existed.

"You okay?" I asked. The moment I said it, I realized how lame that sounded. Of course she wasn't okay.

"I didn't realize," she murmured.

"What?" Percy asked.

Her eyes were the same color as the mist over the Sirens' island. "How powerful the temptation would be."

"I saw the way you rebuilt Manhattan," Percy told her. "And Luke & your parents."

At that I gave Percy a questioning glance but he mouthed 'I'll tell you later'. So I just nodded in response.

Annie blushed & replied. "You saw that?"

"What Luke told you back on the Princess Andromeda, about starting the world from scratch...that really got to you, huh?"

She pulled her blanket around herself & continued. "My fatal flaw. That's what the Sirens showed me. My fatal flaw is hubris."

Percy blinked. "That brown stuff they spread on veggie sandwiches?"

I snorted.

"No, Perce. That's hummus. Hubris is worse." I say whilst shaking my head.

"What could be worse than hummus?"

"Hubris means deadly pride, Percy.
Thinking you can do things better than anyone else...even the gods." Annie replied.

"You feel that way?" I asked.

She looked down. "Don't you ever feel like, what if the world really is messed up? What if we could do it all over again from scratch? No more war. Nobody homeless. No more summer reading homework."

"We're listening." Percy said.

"I mean, the West represents a lot of the best things mankind ever did-that's why the fire is still burning. That's why Olympus is still around. But sometimes you just see the bad stuff, you know? And you start thinking the way Luke does: 'If I could tear this all down, I would do it better.' Don't you ever feel that way? Like you could do a better job if you ran the world?"

"Um...no. Me running the world would kind of be a nightmare." Percy said.

"Yeah, I'll pass too. That isn't really high on my bucket list..." I added.

"Then you two are lucky. Hubris isn't your fatal flaw."

"What is?" Percy asked.

"I don't know, but every hero has one. If you don't find it & learn to control it...well, they don't call it 'fatal' for nothing."

I thought about that. It didn't exactly cheer me up.

I also noticed Annie didn't say much about the personal things she would change. I understood.

I didn't want to admit how many times I'd dreamed of getting my own family back...

"So was it worth it?" Percy asked Annie. "Do you feel...wiser?"

She gazed into the distance. "I'm not sure. But we have to save the camp. If we don't stop Luke..."

She didn't need to finish. If Luke's way of thinking could even tempt Annie, there was no telling how many other half-bloods might join him.

My powers acted up slightly & I got the feeling I was missing something.

Something terrible that Kronos was planning. The fact that whatever he was planning had the power to destroy the whole world in a heartbeat...

Suddenly Annie's eyes widened. "Percy."

We turned.

Up ahead was another blotch of land-a saddle-shaped island with forested hills & white beaches & green meadows-just like I'd seen in my dreams.

I looked over at Percy & he nodded in confirmation. 30 degrees, 31 minutes north, 75 degrees, 12 minutes west.

We had reached the home of the Cyclops....

Ahhhhhh!!!!!

I'm not even gonna start explaining this time..😬

But I'll definitely say this...

I'M REALLY REALLY SORRY..🥺

Hope u guys can forgive me for the extremely long wait...due to the unexpected exams that I'd been bombarded with...🫣

I'm determined this time n I'm gonna get this book done with asap..pinky promise..🫶🏻

Hope u enjoy the chapter tho😉

Do let me know if u find any errors..

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤️
Alice signing off.
XOXO.