CHAPTER 25 (Part-1)

(Percy's POV)

"Ah!" I sat bolt upright in my hammock.

Annabeth was shaking me. "Percy, you're having a nightmare. You need to get up."

"Wh-what is it?" I rubbed my eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Land," she said grimly. "We're approaching the island of the Sirens."

I could barely make out the island ahead of us-just a dark spot in the mist.

"I want you to do me a favor," Annabeth said. "The Sirens...we'll be in range of their singing soon."

I remembered stories about the Sirens. They sang so sweetly their voices enchanted sailors & lured them to their death.

"No problem," I assured her. "We can just stop up our ears. There's a big tub of candle wax below deck-"

"I want to hear them."

I blinked. "Why?"

"They say the Sirens sing the truth about what you desire. They tell you things about yourself you didn't even realize. That's what's so enchanting. If you survive...you become wiser. I want to hear them. How often will I get that chance?"

Coming from most people, this would've made no sense.

But Annabeth being who she was-well, if she could struggle through Ancient Greek architecture books & enjoy documentaries on the History Channel, I guessed the Sirens would appeal to her, too.

She told me her plan. Reluctantly, I helped her get ready.

As soon as the rocky coastline of the island came into view, I ordered one of the ropes to wrap around Annabeth's waist, tying her to the foremast.

"Don't untie me," she said, "no matter what happens or how much I plead. I'll want to go straight over the edge & drown myself."

"Are you trying to tempt me?"

"Ha-ha."

I promised I'd keep her secure. Then I took four large wads of candle wax, kneaded them into earplugs, & handed two to Nora & then stuffed two into my ears.

Annabeth nodded sarcastically, letting me know the earplugs were a real fashion statement. I made a face at her & turned to the pilot's wheel.

The silence was eerie. I couldn't hear anything but the rush of blood in my head.

As we approached the island, jagged rocks loomed out of the fog. I willed the Queen Anne's Revenge to skirt around them. If we sailed any closer, those rocks would shred our hull like blender blades.

I glanced back. At first, Annabeth seemed totally normal. Then she got a puzzled look on her face. Her eyes widened.

She strained against the ropes. She called my name-I could tell just from reading her lips. Her expression was clear: She had to get out. This was life or death. I had to let her out of the ropes right now.

She seemed so miserable it was hard not to cut her free.

I forced myself to look away. I urged the Queen Anne's Revenge to go faster.

I still couldn't see much of the island just mist & rocks-but floating in the water were pieces of wood & fiber glass, the wreckage of old ships, even some flotation cushions from airplanes.

How could music cause so many lives to veer off course? I mean, sure, there were some Top Forty songs that made me want to take a fiery nosedive, but still...what could the Sirens possibly sing about?

For one dangerous moment, I understood Annabeth's curiosity. I was tempted to take out the earplugs, just to get a taste of the song. I could feel the Sirens' voices vibrating in the timbers of the ship, pulsing along with the roar of blood in my ears.

Annabeth was pleading with me. Tears streamed down her cheeks. She strained against the ropes, as if they were holding her back from everything she cared about.

How could you be so cruel? She seemed to be asking me. I thought you were my friend.

I glared at the misty island. I wanted to uncap my sword, but there was nothing to fight. How do you fight a song?

I tried hard not to look at Annabeth. I looked at Nora & noticed her also avoiding managed it for about five minutes.

That was my big mistake.

When I couldn't stand it any longer, I looked back & found...a heap of cut ropes. An empty mast. Annabeth's bronze knife lay on the deck. Somehow, she'd managed to wriggle it into her hand. I'd totally forgotten to disarm her.

I rushed to the side of the boat & saw her, paddling madly for the island, the waves carried her straight toward the jagged rocks.

I screamed her name, but if she heard me, it didn't do any good. She was entranced, swimming toward her death.

I looked back at the pilot's wheel & yelled, "Stay!"

Then I jumped over the side.

But before I hit the water I heard Nora yell out, "Percy, no!!"

I sliced into the water & willed the currents to bend around me, making a jet stream that shot me forward.
I came to the surface & spotted Annabeth, but a wave caught her, sweeping her between two razor-sharp fangs of rock.

I had no choice. I plunged after her.

I dove under the wrecked hull of a yacht, wove through a collection of floating metal balls on chains that I realized afterward were mines.

I had to use all my power over water to avoid getting smashed against the rocks or tangled in the nets of barbed wire strung just below the surface.

I jetted between the two rock fangs & found myself in a half-moon-shaped bay.

The water was choked with more rocks & ship wreckage & floating mines. The beach was black volcanic sand.

I looked around desperately for Annabeth.

There she was.

Luckily or unluckily, she was a strong swimmer. She'd made it past the mines & rocks. She was almost to the black beach.

Then the mist cleared & I saw the Sirens.

Imagine a flock of vultures the size of people-with dirty black plumage, gray talons, & wrinkled pink necks.

Now imagine human heads on top of those necks, but the human heads keep changing.

I couldn't hear them, but I could see they were singing. As their mouths moved, their faces morphed into the people I knew-my mom, my dad, Nora, Grover, Tyson, Chiron.

All the people I most wanted to see. They smiled reassuringly, inviting me forward.

But no matter what shape they took, their mouths were greasy & caked with the remnants of old meals.

Like vultures, they'd been eating with their faces, & it didn't look like they'd been feasting on Monster Donuts.

Annabeth swam toward them.

I knew I couldn't let her get out of the water. The sea was my only advantage.

It had always protected me one way or another. I propelled myself forward & grabbed her ankle.

The moment I touched her, a shock went through my body, & I saw the Sirens the way Annabeth must've been seeing them...

Excuse my evil self for adding a cliffhanger right there...🫣

Buuut....

The next chapter will be in Ella's POV!!

I'll be uploading by this weekend at best...promise☺️

Stick around peeps😄

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤️
Alice signing off.
XOXO.