CHAPTER 28 (Part-2)

(Ella's POV)

I thought Percy was done for until a basketball sized rock sailed straight into Polyphemus’s throat.

The Cyclops choked, trying to swallow the unexpected pill.

He staggered backward, but there was no place to stagger. His heel slipped, the edge of the cliff crumbled, & the great Polyphemus made chicken wing motions that did nothing to help him fly as he tumbled into the chasm.

I turned to look back & halfway down the path to the beach, standing completely unharmed in the midst of a flock of killer sheep, was an old friend.

"Tyson!" I said.

“Bad Polyphemus,” Tyson said. “Not all Cyclopes as nice as we look.”

Tyson gave us the short version: Rainbow the hippocampus-who’d apparently been following us ever since the Long Island Sound, waiting for Tyson to play with him-had found Tyson sinking beneath the wreckage of the CSS Birmingham & pulled him to safety. He & Tyson had been searching the Sea of Monsters ever since, trying to find us, until Tyson caught the scent of sheep & found this island.

Percy & I wanted to hug the big guy, except he was standing in the middle of killer sheep.

“Tyson, thank the gods. Annabeth is hurt!” Percy said.

“You thank the gods she is hurt?” he asked, puzzled.

“No!”

Meanwhile, I knelt beside Annie & was worried sick by what I saw.

The gash on her forehead was worse than I’d realized. Her hairline was sticky with blood. Her skin was pale.

Percy, Grover & I exchanged nervous looks. Then Percy suddenly said.

“Tyson, the Fleece. Can you get it for me?”

“Which one?” Tyson said, looking around at the hundreds of sheep.

“In the tree!” I said. “The gold one!”

“Oh. Pretty. Yes.”

Tyson lumbered over, careful not to step on the sheep.

If any of us tried to approach the Fleece, we would’ve been eaten alive, but I guess Tyson smelled like Polyphemus, because the flock didn’t bother him at all. They just cuddled up to him & bleated affectionately, as though they expected to get sheep treats from the big wicker basket.

Tyson reached up & lifted the Fleece off its branch.

Immediately the leaves on the oak tree turned yellow. Tyson started wading back towards us, but I said, “No time! Throw it!”

The gold ram skin sailed through the air like a glittering shag Frisbee. Percy caught it with a grunt.

We spread it over Annabeth, covering everything but her face, & prayed silently to all the gods we could think of.

The color returned to her face. Her eyelids fluttered open. The cut on her forehead began to close.

She saw Grover & said weakly, “You’re not…married?”

Grover grinned. “No. My friends talked me out of it.”

“Annie,” I said, “lay still...”

But despite our protests she sat up, & I noticed that the cut on her face was almost completely healed. She looked a lot better. In fact, she shimmered with health, as if someone had injected her with glitter.

Meanwhile, Tyson was starting to have trouble with the sheep. “Down!” he told them as they tried to climb him, looking for food.

A few were sniffing in our direction. “No, sheepies. This way! Come here!”