Chapter 17

Chapter 17
Life

KENZIE HADEYA

           I YAWNED AND stretched my arms as I got out of the car. It's four in the morning and it's my first day of training as part of the volleyball team. Magkasabay na ulit kami ni Kuya pumasok dahil magkaparehas ng oras ang training ng volleyball at basketball. 

"Still sleepy?" Kuya asked, getting my duffel bag from my arm.

I slowly nodded my head as I scratched my eyes. "Yeah, still having a hard time adjusting to my new waking up schedule."

Kuya chuckled as we started to walk. "You'll get the hang of it in no time. You already started waking up at 6 in the morning when you're training yourself for tryouts."

"That's 6, Kuya. I woke up at 3:30 earlier!" I pouted.

"I told you last night to sleep early but you didn't listen." He shook his head.

I squinted my eyes as I looked at him. "I studied for my recitation for history, Kuya! I don't want to sacrifice my studies nor volleyball."

Kuya sighed as he moved closer to me to pat my head. "I know but promise me you won't sacrifice your health."

I raised my head to look at him and gave him a small smile. "I won't be sacrificing anything, Kuya."

That's a promise I made to myself before entering the volleyball team. I'm completely aware of the consequences I'll face. I made peace with the fact that my flexible hours are long gone. Hindi ko na hawak ang oras ko at kailangan kong aralin how I'll effectively manage my time without sacrificing anything.

My studies, volleyball, and most importantly, drawing.

Kuya and I were about to enter the gymnasium when a familiar voice called my name.

"Kenzie." Cross called.

I searched for his voice and there I saw him standing not that far from us. He's wearing their academia's uniform. Gray slacks, white long sleeves dress shirt, and a navy-blue coat. And he's not wearing a face mask so I can clearly see his sweet smile.

I smiled as our eyes met. I gave Kuya a quick glance before walking towards Cross.

"Hey, Cross. What are you doing here this early?" I asked with a crease on my forehead but the smile on my lips didn't fade.

"I dropped by to congratulate you." He smiled widely, extending his hand that's holding a volleyball keychain. "Congrats, spikerist."

I laughed as I accepted his gift. "Thank you, student council president."

Cross laughed as well. "So, I'll be expecting you in the interschool competition."

I scoffed. "Don't get your hopes way too high, Cross. Kakapasok ko pa lang sa team. For sure bangko pa lang ako sa interschool this year."

"Nah, I believe in your skills, Kenzie. You don't need immense training because you're great already." Cross wiggled his brows.

I rolled my eyes because of his compliments. "Loko, baka lumaki ulo ko." I laughed. "Tsaka kala mo talaga napanood mo na ko maglaro."

I noticed how his eyes softened and the expression on his face changed. He cleared his throat as he looked away.

My forehead creased as I got confused with his reaction. May mali ba kong nasabi?

I was about to ask him a question when I felt someone tugging my arm.

"I've been looking for you, Kenny!" Kendall exclaimed as she wrapped her arm around mine.