Chapter 1

Chapter 1
I hate you

KENZIE HADEYA

I WAS BUSY packing all my things inside my white backpack when someone entered my room. I glanced at my door, and I smiled upon realizing that it's my Mom who entered my room.

I jumped out of my bed and ran excitedly towards her. She knelt and enveloped me into a hug. I giggled when she lifted me up and carried me towards my bed.

She sat at the edge of the bed and placed me on her lap. She brushed my hair using her fingers. "Are you ready to hang out with Kuya Yavin and Kuya Colin?" Mom asked smiling as she continued to comb my hair.

I nodded excitedly. "And with Maggie!" I added.

Mom laughed softly and patted my head lovingly. "Of course, Kenzie. Maggie and Kuya Jace will be there too to hang out with you and Kuya York."

I raised both of my hands as an act of celebration. I know Kuya Yavin and Kuya Colin are my cousins, but I really like hanging out with their other cousins. Mas sanay kasi akong may mga babae akong nakakasama dahil marami kaming babaeng magpipinsan sa paternal side ko.

Magiliw akong bumaba sa hagdan habang hawak ako ni Mom upang maalalayan. Sinalubong kami ng nakangiting mukha ni Dad at nakabusangot na mukha ni Kuya York.

I ran towards them once we reached the ground floor. I stopped in front of Kuya York, and I used both of my index fingers to raise the sides of Kuya's lips. I giggled happily when I saw Kuya smiled even though he still looks grumpy.

I heard our parents laugh at what I did. Dad patted Kuya's head. "I told you to smile, York. Kenzie doesn't like seeing your grumpy face."

Kuya just sighed and walked towards our garage. Natawa na lamang kaming tatlo sa inakto ni Kuya. We're already used to Kuya being a man of few words like how Dad describes him. Ang sabi ni Dad nagmana raw si Kuya sa Lolo namin kaya sobrang tahimik niya.

Inalalayan ako ni Mom na makaakyat sa loob ng backseat ng aming kotse bago niya sinara ang pinto.

I glanced at Kuya whose busy playing with his Nintendo Switch. "I thought you'll bring your guitar with you, Kuya?"

Kuya raised his head and looked at me with his bored gaze. "Colin already has his at their house so why would I bother to bring mine?" He asked returning his attention to his game.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Maybe you'll like to play together?"

Kuya lightly shook his head. "He has plenty of instruments he could play."

Hindi na lang ako sumagot pa kay Kuya. Wala rin namang pupuntahan ang usapan namin because he has a lot of reasons to throw in every question I ask. I'm 9 and he's 10 but he thinks more deeply than the kids of his age.

Maybe that's the reason why his classmates are intimidated by him. Some really wanted to hang out with him and asks Kuya Yale or Kuya Yaser for help on how they could get along with Kuya. But Kuya wouldn't look at your way unless your family. I just hope that Kuya's perspective will change in time.

I want him to gain friends outside our family like how we have our own circle of friends.

I JUMPED OUT of our car once Dad parked at Kuya Yavin and Kuya Colin's house.

"Kenzie, be careful!" I heard Mom reminded me.

"Yes Mom!" I answered as I slowed down when I reached Kuya Yavin and Kuya Colin's front door.

Pumasok ako sa loob ng bahay at muli akong napatakbo ng makita kong nandoon na sa sala sila Kuya Yavin, Kuya Colin, Kuya Jace at Maggie. Agad kong nakuha ang atensyon nila at sinalubong ako ni Maggie ng isang mahigpit na yakap.