Rabid wolves

28. Rabid wolves
.
.
.

"Alpha Kaden, when all the preparation are made, you will be summoned for the crowning" Sanders informed my mate, the other councilman gathered behind Sanders.

We were currently about to leave the palace. I take a final look at the lovely place but my heart is not saddened that I did not get to properly explore the place, because I know Kaden and I would be back soon.

Kaden and the councilman Sanders exchanged a few words, then Sanders bow slightly at us and the other councilmen did the same thing, Kaden acknowledged the gesture with a nod while a gave a soft smile.

The palace was finally out of view before I felt like everything that had occurred in the last three days were nothing but a dream and I had just woken up.

It was a good distraction from everything, now I was going back to the pack, there was still someone after my life, Ciara was still dead and we had no idea whatsoever who was behind all of it and Tamara might be plotting something so a war may still ensue.

"Are you okay?" Kaden asks he must have sensed my uneasiness, I was not doing much in hiding it well.

"I am trying to be" I truthfully responded, I released a lengthening sigh, Kaden looks at me worried, he rubs my thigh in his attempt to comfort me, I really do not want to feel this way, I don't want Kaden to worry about me, he had a lot on his plate at the moment and I don't want to be a burden.

"You are not a burden" Kaden voice reach my ears

"What?" I asked in confusion, I did not know that I had let out my thoughts through the mate bond.

"You don't have to feel this way, you are never a burden Anna" he comforted.

I smiled weakly at him "thank you"

Maybe things will get better, maybe Ciara behavior was just a hoax, maybe the seer was wrong about the maddening disease that had manipulated my father's action, maybe...., but maybe I was wrong— I was trying hard to believe something else even though the truth was staring at me right in the face.

It is strange that I am feeling like this right now, when in all the days that had passed in the palace I had not felt nothing like this.

"Anna please—" Kaden started but was cut of when our car crashed into another car that seemed to had appeared from no where.

Time seemed to slow as the deafening sound of metal meeting metal filled the air. The impact jolted us forward, our bodies slammed against the seatbelts. Glass shattered, mingling with the chaos and confusion that engulfed the car.

The world spun in a dizzying whirlwind of noise and motion. I clung to consciousness, my heart pounding in my chest as the scent of burnt rubber and gasoline filled the air. Pain radiated through my body, but my concern for my pup in my bellyand Kaden outweighed my own injuries.

Through the haze, I turned to him, his face etched with a mix of shock and determination. He fought against the disorientation, his hands gripping the steering wheel with white-knuckled intensity. Thankfully he got out of the car and rushed over to my side, removing the door of the car with a swift move. A worried but angry look took form in his face.

With trembling hands, I reached out to Kaden, a mixture of fear and relief coursing through me. He takes me into his arms and set me down by the road side. We were battered and shaken, but we were alive and we would heal, but I was still worried about our child, I hand finds its way to my belly.

"Our baby is fine, he is strong, his heartbeat is strong" Kaden confirms, he seemed to have regained himself more than I, he was an Alpha after all.

"What was that?" I asked in confusion, how did that car come out of no where.