CHAPTER 1

"It's been three years since I have been working as a graphic designer in this publishing company. I have been regular, punctual, and consistent in my job but am I appreciated enough? Obviously Yes, but do I get a raise? HELL NAAH! The head of my department, oh which is by the way the Creative Department, thinks I'm an asset to the company, and that I am the bright future of the company, she applauds me for my work but disapproves of my request for a raise. Sometimes, I think I should contact the boss directly but then again, he is a sweet old man, don't want to trouble him. And anyway, salary matters are all handled by the department heads. This is frustrating enough but on top of that, I am in need of a new place. What's the problem with the current place you ask? There's not one but several issues, firstly nosey as hell neighbors, secondly noisy as hell neighbors, thirdly very poorly maintained area, etc. I can go on and on about this but trust me it'll be very boring so, in conclusion, I desperately need a new place. And a raise. But that's not going to happen. So, sticking to the idea of a new place at the moment.

It's 10 in the morning now and I'm struggling to stay awake. This is what I get for staying up late binge-watching Netflix. Ugh.

"Hey Audrey, Mrs. Beckam is asking for you."

Well, that surely woke me up. Hell, it refreshed me, so much that I will not need to sleep for the next few days.

"Thanks for letting me know Jose. Do you know what's it about?" I smile at him.

"Nothing that I know of, you may want to hurry though. It seemed quite urgent," he says returning my smile.

"Oh alright." I rush towards Mrs. Beckam's office.

Who is Mrs. Beckam? I know I know, that's exactly what you're thinking right? Well, she's that same department head I was talking about, that doesn't want to give me a raise. Yes, that's her. Mrs. Ursula Beckam. And that guy, Jose was her new assistant. Sweet guy, but always in a rush. I almost feel sorry for him.

I knock at the door, "Mrs. Beckam, you wanted to see me?"

"Oh yes, Audrey please come in. Have a seat"

This is suspicious. "Thank you." I take my seat and smile at her. Yes, you guessed it, it's a forced smile.

"We have a new project that I needed to discuss with you." Now now, if it's about designing, I'm interested.

"I'm listening." The only thing that keeps me going is designing, creativity is what I live for. And also, the only reason I am still sticking by this job and haven't quit. Apart from the salary part, I have no complaints about my job. At least my work is appreciated and applauded. My talent is recognized here which is why I'm adjusting to the 'no raise after three years of hard work' issue.

"So, there's this huge deal of a company that wants to give us the contract of designing and publishing their magazines. Which will be monthly."

"A company has monthly magazines?" That's odd.

"As I said, it's a huge deal of a company so yes they have magazines and if I'm not wrong it is also a way of advertising their achievements and success."

"Well, that does sound like a smart move. What's the name of the company?" Now I'm curious.

"The Ledger Group."

"Whoa, that's a real deal." The Ledger Group? That's one big group of companies. It's like a chain. A chain of companies. There's nothing that they aren't involved in. It's a big deal that they want to work with us.

"We have a meeting fixed with them tomorrow morning at 10, to discuss all the requirements and ideas for this project. From our department I want you to be the one working on the idea. So, it's very crucial that you attend the meeting tomorrow."

Well, this is a great deal all right. See this is why I'm sticking with this company; I get a lot of opportunities and a lot of scope to showcase my talent.

"I'll love to work on this project, you just mail me the details and I'll see what I can come up with for tomorrow's meeting"

"All right, I'll mail you all the details I have with me and you can prepare something or at least have an idea about the whole thing with all the information."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, and please dress formally tomorrow. We can't afford even one single mistake, even a minor one."

"Yes ma'am." I nod and leave the room.

You see, what she meant with formal was a very professional business-worthy attire. And here in this company, it being a publishing company we prefer wearing casual work outfits. But for tomorrow, i need to prep.

I walk back to my work desk and decide on doing some research on the Ledger Group. See I know this company is like a big deal and have a lot of investments and are practically involved in every possible business out there but that's all I know and there is supposed to be much more to them.

"Hey girlie."

"Kim my love, I missed you."

"Of course, I know, that's why i decided on gracing you with my lovely and oh so special presence."

I let out a little laugh. This right here is my saving grace, my bestfriend and my work place stress reliver, all in one. She's Kimberly. And i adore her to death.

"Oof, Kim darling, you don't know how badly i needed this presence of yours."

"What's up hun, you look stressed?"

"Is it that obvious?" I touch my forehead to check.

"Duh, i'm your best friend dumbf^ck, it's always obvious to me."

"Am i grateful for you or what?" I roll my eyes.

"So, what's you stressing about?"

"You know that we have a meeting with the Ledger Group tomorrow, right?"

"Uh huh, you bet. I am to attend the meeting. You see i'm in charge of editing their magazine from our department."

Yes, so Kimberly is an editor in the editorial department of our company.

"Thank lord you'll be there. I am supposed to come up with ideas. And in all honestly there's not much i can find about their company."

"Girlie, when you dig you dig deep. I am sure you'll find something. And please that head of yours is always filled with ideas. Haven't seen anyone being this passionate about graphic designing."

"I guess i am stressing because it's a big company you know. I don't want to mess this up."

"You won't hun. Just relax and do what you do best. Also, what are we having for lunch today?"

"Uggh, lunch yes. Now I am hungry."

"Good cause lunch is in half an hour. I'll go back to my desk and you meet me downstairs for lunch."

"Alright, i guess i'll continue my research."

"See you at lunch."

Not gonna lie, talking to Kim has always been a stress reliever. She just has that aura around her. I kinda feel at ease now. Let's get back to what i was doing.

"Damn Kim was right. When you dig you dig deep. There's a lot of news articles about them."

Oh, did I mention, the CEO of the Ledger Groups is pretty young, He is probably in his early 30s. And oh, he is the most eligible bachelor all right. Honestly, it's impressive how much he has achieved. The Ledger Groups have reached a new height since he took over as the CEO.

There's not much information about him though. Seems like a quite private person to me.

OH WAIT. Did I introduce myself yet? Oh cr^p. Here you are listening to me rant about my life etc etc and you don't even know my name. Let me give you a proper introduction. My name is Audrey Reese Jones. I started working here at Morgan Publishing House when I was 24. And it's been three years so...Yeah you all know basic mathematics. And yes, this is my story. I hope you all are excited because let's be honest I am.

TO BE CONTINUED