CHAPTER 8

I woke up the next morning feeling very giddy. I wonder what I had last night. I could barely keep my eyes open, forget about keeping my legs straight. I somehow managed to stumble up to my kitchen. A hot cup of coffee, a strong cup of coffee is all that can keep me alive. Shoot man, going for drinks on a weekday is a very trashy idea. How will i be able to handle Ledger in this condition? Ledger...umm, why do I feel like I am forgetting something?

I scratch my head hard trying to shake of this feeling...like I forgot something. But then as a tsunami it hit me. All those freaky thoughts came rushing back and I almost tripped over my own leg.

How can I have those kinds of thoughts? And about the most infuriating person in the whole planet. Oh god. I feel extremely disgusted with myself. I literally need to take a long shower to rub off any of the remains of those thoughts on my body...

After a long, long shower...I finally managed to get out of the house, fully prepared to face Ledger. Or so I thought. Last night's thoughts, were like a virus. They had infected my system. I was not able to function properly at all. With every step I took, with every move I made those thoughts came rushing back to me. Only if there were some antibiotics that I could take.

I exit my building and get to my parking lot. I was about to get in my car when my phone started ringing...I check the caller id to find Mr. Morgan's name.

"Hello? Mr. Morgan?"

"Audrey, are you on your way to Mr. Ledger's office?" No formalities? Nothing?

"Well, Good morning to you too Mr. Morgan." I laugh softly and say "Don't worry sir, I'll not mess it up."

"I am sorry for being so abrupt Audrey...I just can't help but worry." I could sense that in his voice.

"You don't believe I can handle it?"

"That's not its Audrey, even though you can't stand him I still know you can handle it..." he takes a pause before continuing "It's Mr. Ledger, I am worrying about. I told you; I don't want him to come for you."

"You are worrying too much." I try to reassure him.

"I promised your dad Rey, I promised him that I will look after you." He sighs. "But I feel so selfish..."

Yeah, my dad...I wonder how he is doing.

"Selfish for trying to save your company? That doesn't seem wrong to me. My dad would have done the same if he was at your place. I am just fixing what I had broken. I don't want you to suffer the consequences of my actions. You have done a lot for me; this is the least I could do."

"I..." he starts but I cut him off.

"That's it, nothing else. I need to go now and even you need to make sure nobody heard this little conversation of ours."

"No one did Rey. No one."

"Then I will believe you."

"Tell me you will be fine?"

"He is just a businessman you know. He'll not kidnap me or something. And if he tries, I'll karate chop him."

He laughs "I will love to see that."

I gasp "Look at the time, I need to leave. If I am late, it's on you, old man."

He laughs again "Alright, come by for dinner tonight. Mrs. Morgan misses you."

"Will see you tonight then." And he hangs up.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan, are friends with my parents. My dad and Mr. Harold Morgan, yes Harold, that's his name...were college buds. They go way back and have maintained their friendship since. Harold and his wife Brooke, have practically been my guardians here in Queens, New York. They are like my family. I go to them if I ever feel lonely and miss my parents, it's been a few years since I moved here, to Queens. Life's pretty decent here, but I miss home. And I hate the fact that I am not able to visit my parents often...just because I am stuck in the past...with him...