CHAPTER 9

"Mr. Ledger." Adam's voice, pulled me out of my thoughts. He was standing behind me. My face heated up. What was I thinking? My mind isn't at the right place at all.

"I will take it from here Adam."

"Yes sir." And he walks into the elevator again. Leaving me and this handsome jerk all alone. Oh my god. That thought scared me. No, no please don't leave me alone with him. I watch as the doors to the elevator closes.

I finally turn towards Zayden and find his eyes already at me.

He nods towards his office and walks in. I have no choice but to follow.

"Miss Jones." He says emphasizing on my surname.

"Please have a seat."

And I do. I settle down in one of these humongous chairs placed in front of the big desk. I feel so small compared to the whole room. The wall behind his chair was covered in books.

"I hope you didn't find any trouble here." He says with an unreadable expression.

"Except for the fact that you made me wait."

"Only because you made me wait."

"Beautiful office though." I say matter-of-factly.

"This is my personal office. You can call it my study." He says looking around.

"You have different offices?"

"I have one downstairs where I usually attend to my appointments." He says with a grin on his face. "This whole floor is quite personal. Only a few people are allowed here"

That spark of curiosity had now turned into a complete flame. "Then why am I here?" I question.

"Because, I wanted you here." He says with a smirk.

"What..." He cuts me off before I could say anything more.

"I wanted our meeting to take place here." That smirk never leaving his face.

"Why?"

"Because our appointment is quite personal? Isn't it Miss Jones?" he leans forward on his desk. He entangles his fingers and rests his chin on them.

And I gulped hard. Why does he have that effect on me? We only met once before.

"Audrey Reese Jones, age 27...working as a graphic designer in Morgan Publishing House, living in Queens from the past four years. Originally from New Orleans? Right?"

What the heck? My jaw drops on the ground, but then again, I kinda expected this. What I am afraid of is him going deeper.

He gets up from his chair and walks around the table to stand next to my chair. He then leans on the table and says, practically whispers near my ear "I could've dug deeper, but I decided not to. This much is enough for me. It's all I need."

I look him dead in the eyes and say "Why do you need my information?"

He shrugs and says "For fun."

I roll my eyes at him and that's when he holds my face by the chin and says in a deep husky voice... "Don't roll your eyes at me Jones, I do not like that."

My throat went dry and my eyes instinctively closed. And he let go of his hold on my chin. As I opened my eyes, I saw him looking at me with a smirk on his face.

"Anyway, I am still waiting on that apology."

I sigh and say "I am sorry for my behavior that day Mr. Ledger."

"What? That's it?"

"What else do you want?" I scoff.

"Now now, I really thought you had locked that attitude away before you entered my building."