Epilogue

During yet another beautiful morning, you stirred awake to the sound of stupid men arguing outside your room, and the feeling of strong arms cradling you around your waist.

Leon.

Oh, yeah, right. Somewhere in between the time window of the Spain mission and now, the blonde had sneaked his way into your heart. And into your bed. This was what, the fifth night in a row? Not that you were complaining...but damn.

You sighed contentedly, shifting a little in the sheets. You could hear the soft sounds of Leon's breathing, and felt the heat of his breath on your neck.

You also quickly realized—or rather—you were reminded, due to the way Leon spooned you in his sleep, that you were both still naked. Right. You were gonna feel that later for sure.

You shuffled out of Leon's arms gently, trying your best not to wake him up as you went to your dresser to put on clothes. You slipped on a pair of underwear and an old R.P.D shirt, doing a little stretch in your comfy clothes.

It was nice, waking up to mornings like these. You didn't realize before just how much you missed them. How much you missed him.

"Baby?"

You turned, unable to hide your smile as you watched a sleepy Leon admiring you from the bed. He rubbed his eyes as he stirred, and you chuckled at his messy sleep hair.

"Morning," you murmured sweetly, crawling back into the bed to give him a kiss. He cradled your head in his hand, holding you there for a moment.

"You look beautiful today." He grinned when he pulled away, looking like a happy puppy as he held you in his arms. God, he was such a sap.

"You're sweet." You replied softly, ruffling his hair gently as he protested.

To your surprise, he pulled you back in, wrapping his arms around you in an embrace. He tucked his head into your shoulder, muttering sleepy, incoherent sentences as he held you. One of them, you did catch.

"I had a dream last night," he murmured, his words muffled against your skin. It tickled.

"Oh yeah? About what?"

"You. And a baby."

You froze.

"Leon, I—"

"I know." He brought his head back up, looking you straight in the eye. His gaze felt intense. "It was only a dream. But...you looked so beautiful holding her."

Hearing that broke your heart. You and he both knew that his dream was just that. A dream. It could never possibly become a reality, as much as you wanted it to.

Your breath hitched in your chest, and you pulled away. You didn't mean to react like that, but— God, seeing the disappointment and regret in Leon's eyes was a sight you couldn't bear to see.

He left you alone for a minute, getting up to pull on the clothes he abandoned on your floor the night before. Then, he sat back down on the bed with a sigh, waiting.

You both sat in silence for a while as you thought of the right words to say.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." You muttered finally, still unable to look him in the eyes. You felt a hand on your shoulder, and you glanced back at Leon.

"It's okay." He whispered comfortingly.

Liar.

"No, no it's not. I should have told you what was wrong with me from the start. I was just...scared." You admitted, a wave of guilt washing over you. "I knew you were so excited to have a family one day, and— I thought you would leave me if I told you. But, that's stupid, and I should have known it was stupid."