The Final Match

A few months later and it was way into the new year. It was the Easter holidays. Exams were right around the corner but Rose had convinced Scorpius to take the day off revising and meet up with Charlie instead. The two of them walked hand in hand down the embankment of the Thames.

"Now, remember Scorp, Charlie's a muggle so don't go saying anything stupid, okay?" she reminded him.

"Rosie, I'm not an idiot, alright? I have spent time around muggles before, you know." he insisted. She sighed and rolled her eyes at him.

When they approached Charlie he pulled Rose into a hug.

"Hiya love. Alright mate, don't believe we know each other." he said to Scorpius.

Before Rose could do introductions, Scorpius said, "Scorpius, Rose's boyfriend."

The two of them shook hands, Charlie's tooth bracelet poking out from underneath his sleeve. Scorpius smiled slightly. It was nice that Rose had managed to make friends with someone so different to everyone she knew.

The three of them hung around the city for the day.

"Exams soon! You both ready?" Charlie asked.

Scorpius and Rose exchanged a look. "Not really, ought to be revising actually." Scorpius chuckled. Charlie laughed and nodded.

"Yeah, it's Chemistry I'm worried about," he said. Rose thought for a moment. Chemistry. That was like potions, right? But a lot more basic.

"You guys are doing GCSEs right? I did 'em last year, so many exams!" he said. Rose gave Scorpius a helpless look. What on earth were GCSEs?! She nodded and thought it best to change the subject.

"So, Charles. Any advances on this girl you've liked for four years?" Rose asked cheekily.

Charlie coughed and went slightly red. "No, love. Nothing."

"Come on mate, say something. Don't do what I did, you could lose her." Scorpius said.

"What you did? No way!" Charlie looked from Rose to Scorpius and back again, "He's the guy who broke your heart?"

"Hang on! Broke your heart?! What about how you broke mine?" Scorpius asked, slightly ruder than he meant.

"Oh for Mer - God's sake Scorp! All water under the bridge now." Rose retorted. "Anyway, what's her name?"

"Rebecca." Charlie said, slightly awkward to have been caught in this lover's tiff.

"Ask her out." Rose said matter-of-factly. "What's the worst that could happen?"

"She rejects me and hates me forever." he replied.

"Just do it, Charlie. Text me the result." she said with a small smile.

"Will do, boss," he said as he gave a mock-salute "oh, I forgot to say, I'm getting my own flat. Here, in the city!"

"Really? Wow, that's great Charlie! Congrats, mate." Rose said.

"Cheers, oh and if you get a call from me soon, it'll probably be to ask for help painting and stuff..." he said.

"Sure! We don't mind helping out, do we Scorp?" Rose said and she looked up at Scorpius.

"Not at all." he replied, slightly annoyed that he had no real choice in the matter.

"We should be going." Scorpius said as he took Rose's hand. They bid Charlie farewell and made their way to the leaky couldren to get the Floo Network back home.

"He seems like an alright guy. Bit of a flirt though." Scorpius said as they headed home.

"Bit of a flirt? Not jealous are you, Scorp?" Rose teased. He shrugged his shoulders.