Interior Decoration

"How about this one?" Scorpius asked.

"Hmm, I don't know, the dining room is pretty big, I think I'd prefer one that was longer,"

It was the weekend after Scorpius and Rose had moved into their new house and they were out shopping for new furniture.

"Can't we just extend the table, you know, with magic? Honestly, Rosie, I think you've been spending too much time with Charlie," Scorpius said, leaning against the nearby shelf.

"Ha ha. I've been spending every second of the day with you for the past two months you numpty. And if you bothered to read the tags, you would see that they've got anti-transfiguration charms on them so, no, we can't just get a table and then make it suit us. Might as well go to a muggle shop," Rose replied.

"Just pick a table, it's the last thing we need to buy and I've honestly gone past the point of caring now," Scorpius whined.

"Don't be such a baby! Fine. That one," she said pointing to a dark brown wooden table with six chairs around it.

"Really, that one?" Scorpius asked. Rose turned to face him, her hands on her hips, "Just kidding. That one is fine, lighten up, honey," Scorpius gave her a small wink and pulled her towards the man at the till to pay for the table and its delivery.

*          *          *

When they got home from shopping for their furniture, Rose and Scorpius decided to start painting the house. 

Painting walls is a lot easier to do in the wizarding world than the muggle world. You can simply change the colour of the paint on the walls. If you can do the right charm, it's a doddle. And luckily for the newlywed Malfoys, Rose knew the right charm. Unluckily for Scorpius, she refused to use it until they had painted at least one room by hand.

"But why?" Scorpius whinged.

"Because this is a momentous occasion. Painting this room, by hand, will signify our moving in. So, come on, let's get to it! Crack open the paint," 

Scorpius opened the single tin of paint they had bought from the shop. It was a leaf green in colour, something Scorpius liked to constantly remind his Gryffindor wife.

They were halfway through painting the first wall when Scorpius noticed some paint on his left elbow.

"Rose, you got paint on me," he complained.

"What? No I did not, you probably did it yourself without realising,"

"No, I definitely didn't. You're on my left and you're not exactly being all too precise with your roller,"

"Says you! I'll have to go over all of your side. It looks like you put it on with your hands,"

"Whatever," Scorpius huffed and not a moment later rolled his paint roller up Rose's arm, making it completely green.

"What did you do that for?!"

"You got paint on me so it only seems fair that I return the favour," 

"I didn't get paint on you," Rose sighed irritably, "are we really arguing about this? Let's just forget it, yeah?"

"You're right, sorry," Scorpius said, adding very quietly under his breath, "sounds like something a guilty person would say,"

"Right," Rose said, her voice rising to a shout, "do you want me to get some veritaserum? Then I'll prove I'm telling the truth. You know what, forget it," 

She dropped her roller back into the plastic tray, flicked her wand once and the room instantly became perfectly painted in leaf green and left the room.

*          *          *

Rose stood at the sink in the bathroom scrubbing the paint off of her arm. Scorpius came in the doorway behind her and put his arms around her, resting his head on her right shoulder. He looked at her reflection in the mirror.

"You're right, you didn't get paint on me," he said. She looked at him but didn't say a word. A smile started to creep over his face as he said, "but this way, we save the time and effort of painting an entire room like muggles,"

Rose gave an annoyed sigh and shook her head slightly, a smile forming on her lips.

"You caused an argument, our first ever argument as a married couple, might I add, to get out of painting a room?"

"Would you expect any different?" Scorpius asked, innocently.

"No, I knew you were a lazy pig when I married you," she teased, turning her head to kiss him, "I suppose I had better get to doing the other rooms then, eh?"

She turned around to face Scorpius. 

"What colour do you want the bathroom?" she asked with a smile.

"Pastel blue, since the tiles in here are white,"

Rose waved her wand and the room changed to a light blue in an instant. They went around the rest of the house choosing colours for all of the rooms.

Within an hour, the house had been painted and, despite its distinct lack of furniture, looked like a proper home. 

"Housewarming party weekend after next, then?" Scorpius asked. They were sitting on the floor eating dinner, since they had only had a built-in breakfast bar in their old flat.

"Yeah, it'll be fun. I'll send the word out in the morning, it's a bit too late now," she replied.

"And we can announce the news then, yeah?" Scorpius asked, "because I doubt I could keep it a secret for any longer than that."

"Yes, okay. We'll tell everyone then. It's a good job we ordered a cot along with the new furniture, eh?"