Ch. 1 - Like a Real Girl

"Would you stop squirming?!" she barked at the boy, struggling to apply the white foundation as he pouted. She dipped a small paintbrush into the pallet, sitting cross-legged on the floor in front of her teammate.

"Why do I have to dress up like a GIRL? Zorito and Tanjiro don't have to!"

She shook her head, sighing in frustration. "STOP MOVING, OR I'LL POKE YOU IN THE EYE!"

His dark blue-black hair brushed around his massive shoulders as he crossed his arms, huffing stubbornly.

"Lord Tengen needs us to go in under cover, and it's safer if we go in pairs." she exhaled, tilting her head to view her work. "Besides, ZENITSU and Tanjiro would make hideous girls," she giggled at the mental image.

This didn't seem to make him feel any better. The girl adjusted her legs, propping herself up into a kneeled position to reach her teammates' forehead. How can I phrase this so that he understands?

"Listen, you don't have to do much. We'll just be acting. You know - like theatre,"

"What the hell is theatre?!"

She closed her eyes, biting her tongue and refraining from saying something sarcastic. I've fought countless demons and survived, but this mission is going to be the end of me - "...it's when you pretend to be someone else. Like... you match the way they move their body and their face," she picked up a different brush, beginning to work on his eyeshadow. "Look, you don't have to talk or do anything. Just follow my lead, okay?"

The boy grimaced, his eye twitching as she attempted to apply the paint. "I SAID STOP SQUIRMING, YOU DUMBASS!"

He snarled, but didn't put up much more of a fight.

"Good boy," the words left her mouth before she could think - her nerves steeled as she tried to pretend like that totally didn't just happen, but his wide green eyes were frozen on her, his face beet red even under all of the makeup. Is this beast really blushing? She felt her own face flush as she ignored her pounding heart.

Okay, that's the eyes and cheeks done, now just for the... she swallowed. Bad timing. ...lips.

Letting out a slow breath, she forced the intrusive thoughts out of her mind. This is just a mission with my teammate, it's nothing weird!

"Part your lips,"

Inoske's brows furrowed, but surprisingly he didn't have any snide remarks.

- Inoske's POV -

He stared at her, their faces close, closer than he had been to anyone before - at least outside of battle. This is fuckin' STUPID. Why does my body feel so WEIRD?

His eyes tracked her as she leaned in, and he could feel her breath on his skin. They had been traveling together for a while now, going on various missions for the Demon Slayer Corp and being generally bad-ass, and now he found himself studying her painted face... he had never seen her dressed up like this before. WAIT. Why would I even care about THAT?

She had her hand braced against his chin, intently focused on his mouth as she painted on the bright red goo. He was instinctively aware of her rising heart rate...

----------

"Alright, you're all done. Now don't touch your face!" She commanded, knowing he wouldn't be smart enough not to scratch at it and mess up all her hard work.

I'm honestly impressed with myself - I took a dirty boar and turned him into a lovely lady! "Now get dressed and I'll do your hair,"

His muscles flexed as he jumped to his feet, immediately stripping his animal hide trousers.