~ 2 ~

We all sat at dinner, Jeremiah and Steven laughing about something on Steven's phone.

"Steven, I swear to god. If you look at that phone one more time I'm putting it in the screen basket," Laurel warned.

"It's just we want to see your beautiful faces," Susannah said, sipping on some of her wine. "Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days."

"When we had nothing to do apparently, yet filled up every day," Jolene joked.

The moms laughed, toasting to that with their wines. Jeremiah quickly took Steven's phone and tossed away, landing it perfectly in the basket. We all laughed at clapped, well.. Except Steven.

"Boooom, nailed it," Jeremiah cheered.

"Okay, okay, we get it. You've been working out," Steven said.

"Ooh you're just jealous because Jer has a better body than you," Belly said, her and I giggling at her comment.

"Uh no, it's actually all about the lean look now. Otherwise you can't wear tailored suits," Steven explained.

He had a slight point there. Men in suits was always attractive... However...

"Tailored suits.." Conrad laughed to himself.

"When are you leaving for training camp?" Steven asked Conrad.

There was a moment of silence and a few blank stares.

"He quit football," Jeremiah explained.

The room fell silent. Even from next door my family and me always knew how much Conrad loved football. Him and his dad would play all the time in their backyard.

"Wait, really? You quit?" Steven questioned. "Are you kidding me man, I'd kill to lay college ball."

"He can always change his mind," Susannah explained.

"That's right, he's still young," Jolene said.

"He can always change his mind," Susannah said.

"I'm not gonna change my mind," Conrad defended. "I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways."

"That's not true," my mom said sweetly, having no real clue if she was right or not.

"Well if you're not playing football anymore, what are you going to do all summer?" Laurel asked.

"You could come work at the club with me and Jer, yeah," Steven offered.

"I'm not gonna work at the club," Conrad said.

"Wait, you guys are working this summer?" Belly asked.

"You two should hook me up with something there," Spencer said.

"Yeah, of course dude," Steven said.

"Yeah I'm lifeguarding and Steven's working at the snack shop," Jeremiah explained, bumping fists with Steven.

My mom and Susannah looked at each other before getting up.

"Oh, Belly, Y/n, we almost forgot," Susannah said.

They both came back with a small envelope.

"We have a surprise for you," my mom said, handing me the envelope.

"So this is why you wanted to stop by the country club, Sussanah?" Laurel asked.

Belly and I opened the envelopes... They were invites to become debs.

"What uh... What, what is that?" Steven questioned.

"I wrangled Belly an invitation to be a debutante after M/n 's said she had gotten one for Y/n," Susannah explained.