~ 18 ~

After we got back from dropping off Taylor, it was soon time for dinner. We all sat outside as Conrad led the boys and grilled for us. We could all see Jere and Steven playing around while Conrad grilled.

"Those two," Laurel sighed and sipped on her drink.

"They're happy, let them be," Sussanah said. "How are things M/n?"

"Well, they're a whole lot quieter since Jolene and Spencer left," my mom explained. "Laurel, you should write another book to keep me entertained."

The three laughed at my mom's joke. 

"I'll try, but you might need something else for the time being," Laurel said through chuckles. "I'm sure my publisher would be happy with that though."

"That's alright, I'm mostly excited for the ball. I can't believe it's this week," my mom smiled. "When we get home, Y/n will get to finally try on the dress."

"It came in?" I asked.

My mom nodded as she looked at me over the brim of her glass.

"Well isn't that exciting?" Susannah said.

The boys came over with a couple of trays of food. They sat them down and we all started digging in.

"I'd like to raise a toast," Susannah said with a smile plastered in her face.

We all looked to her in curiosity.

"I'd like to toast to our girls for one, and the accomplishments they've made for charity. But I'd also like to toast to family... And the budding romance that connected us even more," Susannah said.

"Come on mom, don't say it like that," Conrad said, grossed out.

"It's sweet, but I have to agree with Conrad, Susannah," Laurel laughed.

We continued eating. I looked up at my mom, and she was just so happy. Being around everyone like this was good for her. 

"N/n," Jere called quietly.

I looked over toward him to see him smiling, "You can enjoy it all too."

I chuckled at his comment. He was right. 

"So, Belly's dad is coming back down for the ball?" mom asked.

"He is, he's really excited for Belly," Laurel explained.

"Yeah, our alley cat made it in with the sphinxes," Steven joked.

The group busted out into laughter, even Belly was laughing at the comment. She had changed a lot this summer, and I think that comment helped her to realize that. We made our way back to the house that night and my mom brought out the dress... She handed it to me and I put it on, looking at myself in the mirror.

I made my way down the stairs and I saw my mom's hand come up to her mouth in shock

"I... You look beautiful honey," she said. "Do you like it? We can always alter it if you don't."

"No mom, I love it," I said, reassuring her.

She smiled so brightly as tears fell onto her cheeks. I quickly grasped her hands, worried.

"Mom!? Are you okay?" I questioned.

She wiped her eyes, "I'm fine. I'm just so happy."

I smiled, a few tears dropping from my eyes. After a moment of holding onto each other, she insisted on taking photos and sending them to Laurel and Susannah. I could tell she wanted to share this moment, so I obliged. I made my way up to my room shortly after, taking a moment to look towards the window. There Jere was, watching something on his computer. As if his ears were burning, he looked up from his computer and noticed me. He quickly pulled out his phone and I felt the vibration of a message.

Jeremiah: You look incredible

Jeremiah: Jaw-dropping.

I giggled before closing my curtains and changing into pajamas. The next day, while everyone was at work, Susannah painted me. I had a lot of time to think. I thought of nice things like how good things were with my mom and Jere... And then... I worried about how I knew my mom wanted to share this experience with dad. And then... I remembered that first night... And how Conrad hinted at the fact that Susannah had cancer again. If she wasn't speaking about it and she wasn't doing anything about it... Then it had to have been bad.

"Y/n? Something wrong?" Susannah asked.

"No. Nothing. Why?" I asked.

"I'm just going to need that smile of yours. The painting won't be half as beautiful without it," she joked.

She made me laugh a bit at that, and I held onto that smile. She needed us to hold on strong. She needed us to hold on to every last memory of her. That's what dad had wanted. He didn't want us to remember him a sick man, he wanted us to remember him for his great storytelling skills or the way he always knew just the right thing to cheer someone up. He wanted us to remember how much he loved us. So I sat there with a smile on my face, memorizing each bit of Susannah's so I could remember her as she was now. The woman who always brought joy to others' lives. 

"Perfect," she said as she sat back.

"When's the big unveiling?" I asked.

"After the ball. I'm doing Belly's tomorrow before the ball so I want them all to be dry," she explained. "I say we go get some lemonade. It's a bit hot out here."

I smiled, "That sounds like a great idea."

I stayed by Susannah's side. We spent the day gardening and talking. She was like another mother to me. I wasn't going to let anything separate me from her, not again.