Becoming Reality

Once I'm all made up, I get interviewed. It's a short interview. I try not to fiddle with my dress when they're asking me questions. I smile like Harlow told me to and they actually make jokes, which surprises me so much I burst into laughter.

They usher me aside to a seating area with plush red seats. I gingerly sit down, alone. I twist my ring around my finger. That's the one thing I got to keep, Beckham got me it for my sixteenth birthday. I hear footsteps and Sage bounds around the corner. She looks – wild. Free. Her white dress is flowy, and falls to her knees. She has simple makeup on, with a blue necklace, and her wild curls fall around her face. She brushes a stray curl away.

"Hi. You're Rowan, right?" She asks me. I smile and shake my head.

"Actually, I'm Elliot. Aren't you Sage?"

She slaps her hand to her forehead. "Gosh! I promise I knew your name. Actually, no, I didn't. I'm terrible with names. I can't even remember the names of the princesses."

Princess Madylyn, and Princess Elodie. Twins, ages six. They're pretty, and resemble Prince Adrian and Queen Hadley, with long blonde curls and King Donovan's blue eyes, with warm skin. Whenever I see them in the news or on television, they're never separated.

Sage sighs. "I'm nervous. I hate being nervous. My five brothers tell me never to show nerves, so I try not to. But I can't help it. So many girls, you know?"

I nod. "Not all of them can be good, though. Right?"

"Yeah. That Addalise girl seems pretty bitchy." She laughs.

I giggle nervously. "Yeah. I guess so."

We sat for a while longer, with Sage chattering on and on. She's so lively. Four more girls join us at our station: a girl with porcelain skin, a short black bob, and large brown eyes, who resembles Snow White; a stunning girl who looks Asian with clear tan skin, dark brown almond-shaped eyes, and long, pin straight black hair; a girl with sunny skin, perfect blonde hair with caramel highlights, and wide, chocolatey brown eyes, who holds her head at such an angle and scrutinizes us in a way that reminds me of Addalise; and a girl who looks as young as Rowan, with pretty blonde ringlets, mesmerizing blue eyes, and rosy cheeks, who resembles an adorable little doll. Sage immediately introduces herself, and I learn their names. The Snow White girl is Ivory Gold, the Asian girl is Vivian Cadwell, the girl who reminds me of Addalise is Calla Nixon, and the little doll girl is Haven Stillwagon. Calla gives me a sudden glare, and it startles me.

The lady named Margot approaches us, a wide smile on her face. "Hello, girls! Are we all ready?"

"Ready for what?" asks Haven sweetly.

"Oh! Oh, yes. I'm going to show you to your rooms and give you a quick tour of the palace." We all smile, and rise to follow Margot. She explains that our room where we can relax or get pampered is the Women's Room. Calla finally looks interested when Margot tells us that's where the Queen and the princesses go to entertain themselves.

"You will be spending the majority of your time in the Women's Room." Margot continues, and rapidly leads us through corridors. "Here is the Great Room, which is used for celebrations, parties, and banquets. Here is the regular dining room. Right through here, girls."