Just Like Our Hearts

I'm looking forward to seeing Adrian the next day.

But I don't.

I don't see him for a whole five days. Five! This is just like when he first kissed me and I didn't see him for days.

Finally, Sage and Rowan get annoyed with my constant wondering.

"Honestly, Ell, you'd think you're in love with the boy," Sage grumbles in the Women's Room one morning, sitting at the piano and absentmindedly running her fingers over the keys in a haphazard pattern.

"I'm not! Are you kidding me?" I actually scoff. That's ridiculous. "And be quiet. There are other girls in here." I wander over to the gleaming saxophone in the corner.

"Are you not happy hanging out with Sage and I?" Rowan asks with a little pout on her face, sliding in on the bench next to Sage. "I mean, I can understand not wanting to spend time with Sage, but me?"
"Careful there, Row, you might just hurt my feelings." Sage says, mockingly holding a hand to her heart.

"Don't worry, I'm pretty sure your ego is too big for that to happen." I laugh. Sage rolls her eyes, and Rowan giggles. I carefully pick up the saxophone, my fingers lightly skimming the keys.

Sage slams her palms down on the piano keys, making Rowan cringe.

"Cut it out!" Ember Jaxon snaps. I look over. She had been painting her nails, and the sudden loud noise from Sage had made her jerk. There was a streak of red polish smearing her hand.

"Sorry," Sage says, sounding anything but apologetic. Ember just mutters under her breath and goes back to talking with Calla. Sage then climbs up on top of the piano and strikes a pose. "Play for me, Elliot."

I rest the saxophone on my hip, putting the mouthpiece in my mouth and playing a quick piece, my fingers dancing on the keys. Out of the corner of my eye I notice Ember and Calla glancing my way, along with Brinley, Haven, and Violet, who are reading.

"Thom!" Sage says suddenly. She casually gets up from her seat on the piano and walks over to Thomason, Leeham, and Victoria. "What are you three doing in here?" She puts the emphasis on three, as to make sure no one thinks she is directly asking Thomason.

"We're bored," Leeham says, crossing his arms. He's only twelve.

"Why don't you go play with Elodie and Madylyn?" Victoria suggests.

"I've been looking for them all over the palace. I can't find them anywhere." He whines.

"That's strange," Brinley comments shyly.

Victoria glances sideways at me. "Speaking of which, we haven't seen Don or Hadley anywhere in the past couple of days either."
"Really?" Sage inquires, concerned. I can't help smiling slightly when I notice she and Thomason are clasping hands behind their backs.

Victoria nods, only to be interrupted by Leeham. "Vicky, will you play with me?"
"Not now, Leeham." She tells him. He pouts and wanders over to the instruments, tapping the piano keys.

"So no one has seen Adrian, or his sisters, or his parents in the past few days?" Rowan says unsurely.

"That seems to be the case." Victoria confirms.

I bite my lip. I mean, I hadn't really been worried about Adrian before. Mostly annoyed with him, to be honest. But this is really something to worry about.

"So what should be do about"- Haven begins.

"Adrian!"
I hear Calla crying out the prince's name, but I just assume she is finishing Haven's sentence for her, before I hear him speak.