Illéa Capital Report

I stand there alone in the corridor.

Oh my god. Oh my god oh my god oh my god.

He knew. Adrian knew. Basically this meant bye-bye Sage.

I'm still standing there frozen when Addalise opens her door and cocks her perfect little blonde head, scrutinizing me. "What's the matter, freak?" She asks me, her voice a mocking kindness. "Did Adrian turn you down? Really, you shouldn't be that surprised."

I stare at her. How could she be so cruel? "Actually, Addalise, I was surprised that you willingly went out publicly in that dress, if you can even call it that. You know your mother's going to see photos of you in that slut-sack? Shameful."

Her mouth drops open into a perfectly glossed 'O' and her eyes widen fractionally before her jaw sets. "Saying that was a mistake. Just you wait."

She spins on her heel and enters her room, slamming the door. I bite my lip. Was she right? Addalise could make my life a living hell if she wanted to.

I finally manage to move my feet and enter my room slowly. My maids are sitting on my bed, giggling and talking. When Grace notices me, she jumps up and runs over to me so fast she trips over her feet and stumbles, although she stands with a massive grin on her face. "How was it?" She exclaims.

Alice takes note of my facial expression. "Elliot, what's the matter?"

"Is something wrong?" Sarah questions cautiously.

"Wait, what?" Grace rocks back and forth on her heels, confused. "Did something happen?"

I bend to undo my heels, kicking them off tiredly. "Well, it started when Rowan and I found Sage making out with Thomason. The English heir."

Grace gasps, and Sarah's eyes widen. Alice just nods. "Then what?"

I continue telling the story, telling them every detail. "And after he kissed me in the hall, he leaned in and whispered that he knew what Sage had been doing and where she was. He knew."

Grace and Sarah gasp again, and this time even Alice does too. 

"What do I do?" I ask hopelessly, pulling pins out of my hair. "He's going to eliminate her."

"Well, maybe he won't." Grace says to me, sitting me down and undoing my hair. Sarah unbuttons the back of my gorgeous dress, while Alice crosses her arms. "Grace, don't give her false hope. Remember what happened in the other Selection?"

Grace nods, sagging her head. "Wait, what happened?" I ask Alice.

She shifts. "One of the Selected....well, let's just say her Thomason was a guard."

"Guard Noah!" Grace chirps, handing me my silky white robe. Alice and Sarah both glare at her. "Oops. Sorry."

"Guard Noah?" I ask, intrigued. "What happened to the girl?"

Sarah bites her lip, helping me slip out of the dress and into my robe. "Well...she's an Eight now. But Guard Noah is still one of our top guards!"

"Huh." I say simply, washing my face and removing all the makeup. Sage in Eight? I can't imagine it. It's...appalling.

My maids leave quietly, and I curl up into a ball.

Suddenly, all I want is to go home.

oOo

I wake late, missing breakfast. Surprisingly, my maids are nowhere to be found. I sit up, yawning, and jump when I see Rowan sitting in the armchair across the room, ankles crossed daintily.