Scarred

I sit through dinner awkwardly, with occasional whispers from Rowan. I was already certain that all the girls hated me, but for what reason? I was just being me.

After Adrian speaks with all the girls, he stands up at his seat before the food is served.

"If I call your name, please stand." He commands. His parents look confused.

"Briar Ewing. Sunday Lahn. Autumn Brookfield. Saffron Eloise. Cassia Markson. Lennon Kelly. And Darcy Stiles." The girls stand nervously. Cassia, the girl with fiery red curls, is wringing her hands nervously. Sunday looks a little green.

Adrian looks lazily at them. "Thanks to the seven of you for coming out and stuff, but I'm going to have to ask that you leave now. Leave the Selection."

Briar and Autumn burst into tears, and Lennon looks frozen, but Adrian barely gives them a second glance before taking his seat. A group of four guards come to lead them out. I notice one of them, a young handsome one, is staring at me.

My jaw drops. Just like that, we were down to twenty-eight.

Once they have left the room, Queen Hadley turns on her son. "Adrian, was that really necessary? It was awfully harsh." She looks angrily at him.

He shrugs, brushing his ruffled, caramel brown hair off his forehead. "They were the boring ones. That one girl Darby or whatever didn't even say a word."

The queen sighs. "Those poor girls." She says quietly, then the food is served and blessed.

Rowan makes a little sigh as she takes a large bite of roasted chicken. "Ell, this is so good."

"I know." I giggle softly, careful not to make too much noise. But all the girls are chattering, so I feel alright.

"I like your hair, miss." One of the princesses – Elodie? Madylyn? – compliments me shyly. I smile sweetly at her.

"I like yours, too. I think blonde hair is so pretty." I tell her truthfully. She grins bashfully.

"Elodie, you don't need to talk to the Selected if you don't want to." Adrian says abruptly. She sticks her chin up. "I want to, Aidy. They're probably all really nice."

His glance runs over me, and my cheeks flush. He smirks.

"Miss, is it alright if I talk to you?" Elodie asks me politely, partly curious, partly to prove her brother wrong. I nod.

"Of course. And you can call me Elliot."

She nods eagerly. Her sister grins. "Isn't that a boy's name?"

I shrug, laughing slightly. "Huh. I guess you're right. But there's a girl named Jack where I'm from. Weird, huh?"

They wrinkle their noses and giggle, making me smile. Then I notice Adrian watching us with a strange look on his face.

oOo