CHAPTER 13: ''Glorious Purpose''

I woke up around 5 A.M... I kept stirring and woke up Steve in the process. "Doll, are you alright?" His New York accent coming through.  I sighed, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry" Steve turned to his side. "It's fine. This bed is too soft anyway" he laughed. "What's wrong?" he asked. "I don't know. I couldn't sleep anymore. Something is about to happen I just can't say what it is" My hand was covering my face, slowly dragging git down.

Steve gave me a sorry look and pulled me closer. "It's going to be okay" We stayed like this for hours. I kept falling asleep and waking up. Around 9 A.M. I woke up again. This time Steve was gone. He left a note on his pillow, out training. I will see you later today. I love you - Steve. 

I smiled as I put it on my nightstand. I got out of bed and grabbed my phone while I was walking to the kitchen.

I checked it for messages. Tony texted me 30 minutes ago. Wakey wakey, I'm coming with coffee and breakfast. I sighed as I was leaning against the kitchen counter. I started to put my hair in a bun. Not much later Tony knocked on the door. "Good morning sleepyhead" he stood there with 2 cups of coffee and a box full of donuts. I didn't say anything. I just stepped aside so that he could come in.

I knew this was his way of saying sorry. "You are not a morning person" he laughed. He set everything on the kitchen island and sat down. "I usually don't do much talking in the morning," I remarked. "Gross" Tony said laughing. I rolled my eyes. He slipped me a coffee and I took it. "Thanks" I stared out of the window. "What's wrong?" Tony asked. I sighed and shook my head. "I just can't shake this feeling that something is about to happen," I said. "Ever since that attack in Mexico earlier this year," I said again. "The god of Thunder is real and it makes me wonder what else is out there you know," I said, biting a piece from a white glazed donut. I saw Tony think. He didn't say and just listened.

"The 1940s were such a simpler time you know. The weirdest thing we had was Captain America" I said feeling so nostalgic. "And if there was something we didn't know about it" Tony didn't even try to get a word in. "I liked the time when this wasn't a problem" I showed my glowing hand. Tony just nodded. "He felt guilty you know" I bit the inside of my cheek. "Sure" I spit. "He ruined my life. He took my husband away from me, kept my powers a secret just so he could test a time machine and I don't even know why" I felt heat rising to my hands and it took everything in me not to burn down my kitchen.

Tony looked down. "I understand but come with me. I found lots of letters addressed to you" I gave him a look. "Please humble me. If you don't want to read the letters we can just hang out if you want" he gave me his best puppy-dog eyes to convince me. I thought about it. I could use the distraction. "Fine, let me change into something more decent," I said. Tony nodded while he grabbed another donut.

I went to my room and grabbed black jeans and an emerald green blouse from my closet. I took a black belt with a golden circle to close it off. I combed through my hair putting it in a high bun. I walked out and I saw Tony standing in front of my bookcase. "You have the original version of The Hobbit that's awesome" he flipped through it. "It's a gift. I never read it" I admitted. Tony looked at me surprised that I hadn't.

I grabbed my coat and bag and made my way to the door. Tony put the book back and walked towards me while grabbing his keys from his pocket. We walked down and got in his car. 

"I asked to bring back your car from Arizona. It's in the parking lot" I smiled. "Thank you. I don't think I'd survive another trip on Steve's bike" Tony laughed.

"It's good to have you with me," he said. I hummed. "Yeah," I looked out of the window. Tony sighed. "I'm sorry for everything I shouldn't have pushed it" Tony finally apologized. "It's fine" I just said. I wasn't mad at him. He shouldn't have to say sorry for anything.