21

*-AN: bold is a different language-*

The judges were in the center, just below the performance stage. Some of the upper class families, who were able to pull strings, were able to sit closer to the judges. Maybe for the view? I smirked at the thought. It was a sad state of affairs for people to be bribing judges at kids' competitions.

'What you thinking, Mama?' Grandpa Fa asked me.

'Wild scenarios..' I answered.

'Oh, bad luck ya. Pew. Pew.' He made a spit sound to dispel the bad luck while waving his hands about. I chuckled.

'Thank you for coming,' I said as I wrapped an arm through his. 'Moonie really wanted you to be here.'

'Das my gran-child. How I miss it?' he grumbled, leaning into me. I chuckled. 'When you going to teach her greet to me properly.'

'I think you should ask her that.'

'You still speak like a baby.. more like a first grader,' he laughed at me. 'You getbetter.'

'Why thank you, Ba.'

'Pfffttt.. You give me chills. Don't call me like that.'

I laughed, too. It felt really good to be like this, playing around with him again. Over the years, he had become closer to me and Moonie as distant family. We visit during the holidays and special events, like when Kim gave birth and Kyle finally decided to come out officially. We all knew. He and his boyfriend have moved out of state, but they visit, too.

The lights started to flicker in slow motion to indicate the competition was to start. Families and spectators started to fill up the seats and quiet down. Grandpa Fa asked, 'When is my girl going?'

Of course, he would ask now in the dark! I rolled my eyes and sighed, then yelped.

'I know you have rolly eyes, omega,' he hissed at my side. I pouted and rubbed the underside of my arm after receiving a hefty pinch.

The first contestant walked across the stage. He was wearing a navy blue suit and carried a violin. Everyone clapped as he bowed to us.

'Please introduce yourself,' requested the female judge.

One of the stagehands brought out a microphone and adjusted it to his level. His voice was deep for his stature. 'My name is Adam Zalinsky. Eight years old.'

'Eight year old, my old ass,' hissed Fa. 'That boy big!'

'Shh, I missed what he is playing,' I complained.

The stagehand moved the main microphone out of the way and allowed him to play. Several children before Moonie got her turn.

My smile beamed as she scanned the crowd, looking for me. I held up my hand shyly and waved until her attention was caught. She smiled, a small flush tinting her round cheeks. I kissed my fingertips and blew them out to her as the stagehand completed the same task as he did many times before.

'Introduce yourself for us, please, young lady,' gently ordered an older judge. He was a grandfatherly type, kind of reminding me of a Santa incarnate.

'My name is Estrella Markus, and I am six and a half years old. I'll perform Overture to Carmen by Bizet.'

Her little hands clasped behind her back, just like her Granda Fa - the exact same way he would walk about his restaurant if he wasn't raising hell. When she finished her introduction, she gave a small bow and moved behind her toward the piano.

From the small sash around her waist, she pulled out an unwrapped peppermint and stuck it in her mouth before flexing her fingers. I watched those green eyes close, then open back up after she took a breath. My poor baby! My nerves were shot.