31

The front door open and a pair of golden blurs ran out, pouncing on us their victims. Much like my first experience here. A light bulb went off in my head and I called out holding a hand up.

'Hey. Hey Franklin.. Aww.. who is a good boy?!'

The older of the pair of dogs stopped their hopping and came over to me tail wagging. His wet nose pressed into my thigh as he sniffed then moved around me. He still wagged his tail. 'Do you remember me?' I whispered.

'You know them, Mama?' Moonie asked as she eagerly petted the other golden fur ball.

'Just this handsome fella.'

'FRANK! ANDY! GET.YOUR.ASSES.BACK.HERE!' yelled a familiar voice.

I looked up to meet the eyes of Evie. My mouth fell open slightly. Evie was still Evie, fiery and loud, slim and beautiful. The long light brown hair of the past was gone. It was cropped short almost like Lucians.

'Honey, stop yelling,' scolded another familiar voice. A woman wrapped her arms around Evie. Her profile was familiar too. When the new edition looked at me fully, my mouth formed a smile. The world was truly small. But what really burned my curiosity, how did Evie and Marianne end up together?

'Who did you bring with you, Luc? That wench is here with her family, too.' Evie rolled her eyes, until she spotted the child. She narrowed her eyes and scoffed, chuckling darkly. 'You knocked someone up?! Fucking expected - you win the family reunion.'

'Ev--' I pulled at Lucian's sleeve and winked at him.

'Evie, don't you think it is rather rude not to greet your old friend?'

'Old friend?! Dah..'

Marianne spoke up, after overcoming her shock. 'Quinton?'

I tilted my head and gave her a knowing look. 'Howdy. How you been?'

Evie strolled up to me and punched me straight in chest hard. 'What the hell, man?! You just fucking disappeared, Quinny?!'

'DON'T HURT MY MAMA!' yelled Moonie as she pushed at Evie.

Evie stumbled back, with wide eyes and jaw dragging the paved driveway. 'Mama.. Mama? MAMA?'

Her eyes darted between me and Lucian and back, then studied Moonie who was giving her a death stare while I was trying to soothe her and explain that Evie was my old friend.

'Since fucking when do you have a child?!' Evie asked after picking up her jaw from the driveway.

Marianne pulled at her lover's arm, trying to defuse her lover. 'Maybe we should take this inside. It is quite chilly out here.'

'Yes, I can't wait for this fucking circus to begin,' she cackled as she broke from Marianne's grasp to hook an arm around the back of my neck to lead me in the house.

She let me go once we were inside the house and led us to a closet. I hung up my and Moonie's coat. Lucian waited. I just gave him a side eye and stepped out of the way. Evie snickered and linked arms with me, but Moonie pulled me away from her.

'I'm sorry, Little Quinny. I've missed your Mama so much. It surprised me so much,' Evie explained trying to soothe Moonie over, but it wasn't working. 'I am sorry.'

'We don't but our hands on anyone even if we are mad,' she repeated verbatim the rule I had drilled into her head.

'Even if you are being hurt?' Evie probed, as Marianne brought her something to drink.

'Yes, there is an exception.'

'Which is, Little Quinny? -- God, Quinny, she looks so much like you..'