Part I. Cold Nights

Aurora's POV

Beautiful. That's the first word that comes to my mind when I look at him. I can't help but to admire his perfectly sculpted figure. Like something out of a painting. His face was simply a work of art. And every time he spoke I heard music and poetry so deep that the ocean would cry out in envy.

I've heard the rumors. I know what the people say about him. The cold and heartless king of Norta. The worst part is, I understand it. I've been working at this castle for ages now and I know what he can be like at times.

Diabolical. Cynical. Pathological even. I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least sympathize with the scarlet guard. Hell, I'd even thought about joining at times.

But my heart would never let me. I hate it. I hate that I feel this way. I don't want to. I know what he's done. I know he can be cruel. He barely even acknowledges my existence but still, the thought of being in his presence is enough to send shivers down my spine.

But even withholding all of that, I know that Maven wasn't always this way. He couldn't have been. Despite the monster everyone thinks he's turned into, I can't bring myself to see it that way. Instead, I see a lonely, tortured soul. Looking to be saved.

Look at him. Sitting on his broken throne, completely and utterly alone. The great, powerful, Silver King is still utterly alone.

Sure. He has Iris. But what kind of marriage is that? It's not real. It's nothing but a political scheme. And everyone knows it.

He doesn't love her. Sometimes I wonder if he's even capable of love. After everything he's been through. I can't help but feel bad for him. I know I shouldn't. But I do. What kind of life is that to live? To be incapable of love, to have a whole country at your feet solely out of fear. A village of people whom you know despise you.

Call me naive. A hopeless romantic. But everyone deserves to have someone to share their life with. This world is no good to anyone living it through solitude. To live and die alone, is misery. That is true darkness.

Believe me, I know darkness. I know pain and sorrow. Loneliness. Perhaps that's why I can empathize with a so called 'irredeemable monster'. Though it is exhausting. Gut wrenching. I feel so broken. Being at constant war with my heart and my mind. Oftentimes I have no idea which side is winning.

Usually I can ignore these thoughts I have, but these past few days they've been gnawing at me like a predator in the night.

It's especially hard to ignore on cold nights like this.

Something about the icy air seeping into my lungs as I gaze upon the stars really makes it all set in. Probably because it was night like this when it happened. When my life changed forever.

Yes, it was a night much like this when my family had been destroyed in a fire. The family I tried to support by working here. It seems like a waste now. Everything does. But I know that I have to go on. It's what they would want. I have to be strong. For them.

As witless as it sounds, Maven is the one who brings me warmth and comfort on these airy nights. No matter how dark and twisted his mind may be, he continues to be a bright flame in mine. His fire is what helps me escape my demons.

He's lost both his parents too, yet he goes on. Sure, we have different ways of coping as I'm not a cold blooded murderer but still, he's resilient. A force to be reckoned with. I deeply admire that about him. Even if he'll never know.

There's a lot he'll never know. But that's for the best.

I have secrets. Secrets that need to be taken to the grave. If he knew... he'd have me killed or imprisoned on sight. No one can know the truth about what I am.

It sounds a bit sick really. I must be some sort of masochist. Secretly pining after a man who's silver blood boils at my mere existence.

Maybe I just have a taste for danger. He's dangerous for sure. Yet he's threatened by people like me.

Still, I can't help but want to know him.

Author's Note

— I know the first chapter was a little short but I promise I'll try to make the rest of them longer. Also I just wanted to give a little more context so it's less confusing. This book is taking place before war storm bc obviously (spoiler alert) Maven dies at the end. I don't really know where I'm going with this. As the story goes on I might follow the course of what happened in War Storm just with a different ending, or idk. Anyways, I'll do my best to update every week. I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter.

I'm making a playlist for this book too so I'll try to link that as well. It's probably gonna have a lot of Chase Atlantic and The Neighborhood on there so yeah I hope you guys like it.