VI

Geralt had left me a little bit ago to help Vesemir with some training or other. I had been sleeping all day today. I felt stronger than yesterday. I decided it was time to explore this castle called Kaer Moren. I rose from bed, still wobbly. I pulled on my leather pants that had been tossed on the floor yesterday when Geralt changed my bandages. I slipped them on and then changed out of the large tunic and into my own tunic. I strapped on my boots and secured my knife onto my hip. My cloak rested on the back of Geralt's chair. It was still bloodied and stained so I opted for one of his furs to wrap around my shoulders.

Kaer Moren stayed cold in the winter. The castle was damaged from the beating it took years ago. Humans had attacked, and killed most of the adult witchers. I ventured through the hallway, peaking into rooms. Most were covered in snow from the holes in the walls letting in the winter air.

Eventually I made it to the staircase and descended slowly. This led to the main floor of the castle. I kept going down the stairs and wound up at the laboratory and another room I was unfamiliar with. I walked into the laboratory, scanning each herb and ingredient they had stored. I knew many of them. After browsing each shelf, I turned to the table at the middle. A witcher stood in the doorway, causing me to jump.

"You witchers are going to give me a heart attack!" I laughed, realizing it was Lambert.

"Apologies, m'lady. I came to see if Vesemir could make me a salve." He laughed, stepping forward to the table.

"I can make you a salve. What do you need it for?" I asked, turning to the ingredients on the shelves.

"This basilisk bite. It's not healing like it should." He pulled his shirt up revealing a nasty bite. I quickly began pulling herbs and other ingredients before pouring what i needed to into a bowl for mixing and grinding. The salve was made quickly and given to Lambert.

"Twice a day. If it's not better by tomorrow, let me know. That means something else is going on." I handed him the salve in a jar with a smile.
"Thank you." He smiled back and disappeared up the stairs. Geralt now stood in the doorway.
"I thought I told you to rest." He grunted.
"I thought I told you I was bored." I sighed, walking towards him.
"I'm taking you home today." He said plainly, returning to his cold, plainless demeanor.
"What? Why?" I looked up at him in confusion. What had I done? I hadn't fully healed so why would I ride all day home.
"You're mostly healed and it's time for you to return home." He turned, going for the stairs.
"Geralt." I reached out, grabbing his bicep. My full hand couldn't even fit around his arm. He grunted and turned back to me.
"Did I do something?" I released his arm, looking down at our feet.
"No..." He said, emotionless. With that, he left.

I went upstairs to Geralt's room, packing what little things I had. Vesemir stopped by my room, watching me pack. I grabbed the bloodied cloak.
"Here. Take this one. It was... Either way, she doesn't need it anymore." Vesemir handed me a red cloak with a gold collar.
"Thank you" I smiled, taking it from him. I went ahead and put it on, scooping my backpack up. "I guess I should go." Vesemir gave me a hug, kissing my cheek lightly.
"Don't be a stranger. We could always use a good healer." He smiled, letting me pass.
"You know where to find me if you ever need me." I slipped by him and made my way for my horse. I found the stables easily.

Thick snow covered the ground. The cold morning air brushed my hair from my face. Daisy neighed as I rounded the corner, laying eyes on my favorite horse.
"Hey, girl. Ready to go home?" I laughed, petting her black mane. Beetle came up next to Daisy, bucking his head like he wanted to be petted as well. I laughed again, petting his nose gently. "Good boy, Beetle."
I entered the stall with Daisy and began saddling her. "Let's go home girl." I patted her, laying the thick blanket from her back, then the saddle. I made quick work of buckling the straps, tightening it down. I strapped my bag onto the saddle next before going to Beetle and getting him saddled.

Geralt finally appeared, refusing to look at me. He strapped his bags onto the saddle, then his swords. I pulled Daisy out of the stall, ready to yank myself onto the horse. Geralt suddenly appeared behind me.
"Stop. You'll open your wounds. Let me help." He growled, lifting me onto the horse with ease. Geralt then handed me a fur and black blanket. "For the wind." He went to his own horse, climbed onto it and clicked his tongue. Beetle began trotting out of the castle. I looked over my shoulder at the castle before clicking my tongue as well. Daisy began to follow Geralt.

The ride was long. My ass was sore. My stomach roared in protest to its emptiness. My toes grew numb to the weather. My nose was red with pain as the wind whipped my face.
"Geralt, can we stop for a moment and sit by a fire?" I groaned. He scoffed, pulling from the road and into the woods deeper. We stopped, dismounted and he began making a fire. I laid out the black blanket and wrapped myself in the fur Geralt had given me. He soon joined me on the blanket after the fire began to blow.
"Why are you being so cold?" I questioned, staring into the fire.
"I'm not being cold." He grunted.
"Geralt..." I groaned, holding my head in my hands. "You kiss me, you say you can't lose me, yet you send me back home like I'm just a girl you helped."
"You're not just some girl." Geralt looked over at me. His golden gaze bore into my soul. "You're safer in the village than at Kaer Moren with me."
"How Geralt? Because last time I checked, I was attacked at home, where you weren't." I snapped, finally looking at him. My hair whipped against my face in the wind. His cold fingers brushed through my hair, pushing hair from my face.

"I can't keep you safe. My life isn't safe. I'm a witcher. A monster with no human feelings." He voice was stern, emotionless.
"I've never asked you for safe or normal or anything Geralt. You assume I've asked you for something. I haven't." I explained. "And you're not a monster. Stop saying that. You're mutated, not evil." Turning my eyes back to the fire, I felt a small tear slipping down my face. He cares for me. He doesn't. He kisses me. He doesn't want me. It doesn't make sense. I was getting whiplash.
"You either feel something for me or you don't. Tell me either way and you'll never have to hear from me again." My voice wavered, unsure if I wanted the answer.
"I feel something for you." He muttered. "I feel a lot for you. I want nothing more than to hold you close to me and kiss you."
"Then why are you pushing me away? I can take care of myself. I'm not helpless, Geralt." I finally stood from my spot on the ground, walking around the fire to look at him in his eyes. "I'm a woman, not a helpless child."

The bright gold eyes stared back at me. Short pieces of his white hair blew across his face. I couldn't read him still. I couldn't see the thoughts flowing through his head.
"I know..." He shook his head. "I'm sorry. You're right." He took a deep breath, standing up as well. He moved across the forest towards me. His hand wrapped around my face, dipping his fingers into my hair. His eyes studied mine, breathing slowly. His other hand drifted under the fur, finding my waist.
"I never want to leave your side, Vivian. I want you for the rest of my days." He whispered, slightly bending down to me. His lips grazed mine. "Mine." He growled, finally kissing my lips. My arm wrapped around his shoulders, holding me up to meet his lips. His kiss was hard and passionate this time. His body pressed against mine, holding my weight up. He carried me back to the blanket. He laid above me. Geralt pulled his cloak around us, keeping the cold breeze from touching me. His kisses dipped down to my neck. I let out a soft moan.

Suddenly, his kisses stopped. His eyes darted at the forest around us.
"Fuck." He growled. "Get to the horses." His body lifted off mine and stepped over the fire, putting it out. I grabbed the blanket and my fur and threw myself onto my horse. I grabbed his swords from Beetle, tossing him the silver blade. I clutched the other in my hand. He quickly jumped onto Beetle, waving me towards the road.
"Get to Ban Ard." He growled, checking around us again. He finally took off, following me close. The thing he was looking for finally appeared on the road behind us. It was a giant ball of insect armor. A jackapace. It hunted by scent. So who was it hunting? Me? Geralt?