X

Geralt's POV

The new steed, Roach, was a good horse. Probably my favorite horse I'd ever ridden. Vivian had picked a good one. I petted the mane of the horse as we left the area of the beast I'd been hired to kill. The beast laid across the back of my horse, covered in a blanket. It was a giant centipede, an easy kill. I rode until I came into the town where I'd been hired. The alderman paid me handsomely and took the beast to the nearby mage to use whatever they could from its body.

The night was settling in so I decided to ride to the tavern for a meal and dinner. Once at the tavern, I tied up Roach and went inside the building. The door shut heavily behind me. Most patrons turned to stare at me. A normal occurrence as a witcher to be gawked at. I looked different than humans. I was an abomination to them. I brushed off their stares as the bard tried to regain their attention. I found an empty part of table at the bar where the server handed me a mug of ale.
"A room for the night as well." I grunted, taking the ale and drinking it heavily. I handed the server a pouch of coins.
"Yes, sir." He handed me a key. I took my ale and key and found a seat at a table in the corner. The night passed on with slowness. The patrons got drunker, the bard sounded duller. I internally begged for my ears to fall off my head as the bard sing a melancholy song. My ears began to perk as the next table's conversation got my attention.

"No, I'm telling youse. The princess of Aedirn, the one that went missing years ago, has been found. They found her in Ban Ard of all places. They say she's a mage now. But you know they've always said she's an elf or a creature or something." One drunk man spoke to another at the table next to me. They were speaking of Vivian.
"No way. That princess has been dead. They didn't find her." The other drunk said.
"No, I am telling youse. They found her." The first took a big gulp of his ale. "Grabbed her this morning and are taking her to Aedirn, to the king, her father."

I finished my ale and tossed the key back to the server. He called back to me, but I'd pushed out of the door already. I had to hurry. I was already at least a day behind. The ride home would take me the rest of the night. I mounted Roach and took off towards home. I had to get there. If she'd ran, I'd come upon her on the road or in the surrounding area.

The whole ride I kept my eyes peeled and looked for her scent. I needed to find her. I had to find her. I don't know what I'd do if I found her with the soldiers, or worse... dead... I rode hard, not stopping for a break. Roach kept his speed, never wavering. He could sense my worry. I couldn't find her on the road. I didn't see any fires in the surrounding wood. She hadn't run towards me. Was she taken? Did they surprise her? Did she fight them and lose? No, she didn't run. She went with them.

Roach finally slowed in front of our home. Without waiting for him to stop, I jumped off Roach and ran to the house. I busted through the door.
"Viv! Vivian!" I yelled, her sword and pack were gone. I didn't hear Daisy in the stables either. She'd gone but where? That's when I opened the door again and I found her note. I read it, crushed it in my hand, confirming what I'd already known. She wouldn't fight. She gave up because of me. They will kill her or worse, make her take the throne.

"She's gone, isn't she?" Her father's voice called out to me.
"Yes." I responded, angrily.
"You're going after her?"
"Yes." Why was he asking questions he knew the answers to. I turned back to our home and began gathering things.
"There's more you need to know." Her father had entered our home.
"She's not just a mage... The king wanted a child, an heir so badly, that he called upon his mage. The mage created a child for him. But it wasn't human. She's like you. Part elven, part beast, part mage. She's a monster in a human skin." He sighed. "It's why we had her powers bound. She's not human. She doesn't know her own power." My gaze turned to him.
"She's a natural born witcher with magic." My heart started to beat harder in my chest. "You think she's a monster for that?" My body felt the rage in my chest building.
"She's a monster because she's not just a witcher. She's not just human. She's not just elf. She's not just a beast. She's not just a mage. She's a mix. A mutt. No one knows what that means." He explained. "You need to find her before her father discovers what she is. He will kill her."

I brushed past him, going for more items to pack. "Leave before I do something we'll both regret." I growled. He did as I told.

I quickly packed some new clothes, dried meat, and more elixirs Vivian had made. On top she'd made a dozen of the one that helped me sleep. Gods, I loved her. She knew all too well what I needed most. I took a deep breath before walking back out to Roach. He was unsettled.

"We'll get her back, Roach." I grunted, petting his neck. I secured my new pack onto his back and then mounted. It'd be a long ride to Aedirn. And I wanted to catch up before they got there.

Thought ran through my head as we rode hard towards Aedirn. Human, beast, elder blood, mage. As a witcher, I'm human with elder blood, beast blood and magic. I could perform magic but only limited magic. Vivian had to be a natural born witcher, a witcher made in the womb. Why hadn't I seen it until now.

Roach continued down the winding path. His hooves smacked the hard ground. The world around us was quiet. No birds, no animals, nothing. It made the hair on my back rise. The sun had risen and began to set as we rode. A day had passed. I pulled at Roach's reigns and drew him off the road. He needed rest. I dismounted when we made it off the road. We settled in the forest in an small clearing. I made a fire and let Roach rest while I sat on my knees. My heart ached in my chest. She could take care of herself. But I felt like I should've been there. I should've protected her.