XI

The castle loomed over us as we rode into it. It cast a long shadow over the land. A chill ran down my spine. Evil lived here. I could feel it in my heart.

The captain took us to a large courtyard where the soldiers dismounted, then I was ordered to dismount. The captain led me inside, removing his helmet to hold under his arm. His hair was black as night and held back in a pony tail. He was wide like Geralt but not nearly as tall. He staggered between my height and Geralt's. Our boots clicked and clacked through the marble hallways of the castle. I could feel the knife in my boot being shuffled about. I hadn't been able to secure it correctly before the soldiers had taken me away.

"Do not speak unless spoken to." The captain snapped before nodding to two servants to open a pair of grand doors. Beyond those doors stood a dozen noblemen, several armed guards, and a man with a crown next to a younger boy in royal garb and a woman in a red dress. The captain crossed the great room and bowed before the king. The two soldiers behind me ushered me towards the captain. I kept on his heels.

"Your majesty, we have found her." The captain stepped to the side, revealing me to the man with the crown.
"Elié." The man with the crown gasped, running from his throne towards me. Unsure of what he might do, I braced for his impact. His arms engulfed me in a hug. I struggled, still unsure of how to respond. "My daughter!" He cried, pulling away from me, grabbing my arms. His eyes studied me closely, giving me a good looking over. I only stared back. His eyes were green like my own, but held something behind them. His hair was thick and brown like my own. The resemblance was there. His nose was small, jaw sharp, and eyebrows thick. He was indeed my father by all accounts.
"Elié?" He spoke, still looking me over.
"My name is Vivian." I responded, plainly, worming my way out of his grip. "And respectfully, your majesty, I'm not your daughter. My father is the man who raised me. I don't know you." A sharp smack landed on my cheek. The woman in red had gotten from her seat, walked to me, and smacked me.
"You will not speak to the king like that." She growled, pulling a snear across her face. Her lips looked overdrawn with makeup, her eyebrows thin, hair orange like the sky during a sunset and messy. My hand had snatched her wrist as it recoiled from my cheek. My gaze turned towards her, which might've scared her. Her hand shook slightly as I tightened my grip and growled. "Do that again, and you will feel pain twice over." I released her wrist with a yank.

"Ghisda!" The king gasped, turning to the woman. "My darling, you cannot hit the princess like that. She is the next ruler." He explained, before turning back to me. "Come, let us speak in private." His waved his hand, dismissing the people. Ghisda grabbed the younger man and stormed out, guards following.

"Please, come sit." The king smiled, waving me towards the chairs that lined the room. "I think we should talk." He was kind, unlike anything my father had explained. I couldn't understand why my father ran. I followed him to the chairs and sat with one chair between us.
"I guess I should explain." He smiled. "Your mother and I married young. It was perfect, an arranged marriage by her high born father and my father the king. We fell in love shortly after we married. We tried to have a child. But one or both of us just couldn't. Eventually, we went to our mage, asking for help. She helped in creating you. Months passed as you grew in your mother. Everything was right in the world." The king moved the crown from his head into his hands. "Then, one morning your mother and I fought, I said some things I shouldn't have. Did some things I will always regret." He sighed, rubbing his head. "That night, she left. I never saw her again."
"What was the fight about?" I questioned, interrupting him.
"A war decision. I told her she had no business giving her opinion. A woman's opinion isn't helpful in the decisions of war strategy unless she's a mage." His face twisted into pain. "I was wrong. I should've listened to her." He shook his head. "I've searched for you since she left." His gaze stared at the floor.
"Why should I believe you? I've heard you used to beat my mother." I snapped, glaring at him.
"I would never touch a woman." His eyes immediately met mine. "I would never touch your mother. I loved her." I knew what hid behind his eyes now. It was evil. He tried so hard to hide it but I could see it now. His eyes gave away his carefully concealed lies. My birth father was the monster my father had described.
"I hear you have a son. He will be next in line." I muttered. "I want no part in the royal life. I do not want to rule. I do not want to be queen. I'm happy with my life as it is." I pushed a piece of brown hair behind my ear.
"You have no choice. Your half brother will never rule." He explained, "He is stupid. You are special."He took a moment and looked me over again. "Come. Let's get you a room here for the night. We have the summer festival tonight."
"Geralt of Rivia will be arriving soon. I would like him to be brought to me immediately, please." I stood from the chair.
"Of course, my daughter." He nodded, leading me out of the room and back down the great halls. His guards followed us closely.
He took me down several corridors and hallways, my mind spun with trying to remember how to get out. The room he settled on was a large room with a sitting area and large bed.
"Ring the bell there if you need anything. A servant will come along and help you." The king bowed his head and dismissed himself with his guards. My saddle bags laid in the sitting area of the room as well as my weapons. The knife in my boot had finally settled uncomfortably under my heel. I walked to the window, looking out towards the city and main road. The sun had begun to set. The ride was a few days ride. If Geralt had come home the next morning after I was taken, he would only be a day behind me.
Where are you, Geralt?
He was better at discovering the lies of others than I was. He could protect my right. I needed him here to tell me he'd take me home.