XII

Crash.
The noise made me jump from where I was laying, knife in hand.
"I'm so sorry, my lady!" A servant gasped, already picking up the shards. I tucked my knife away and got up to help her.
"Please, my lady, no." The servant begged, finishing her clean up. She stood finally, not meeting my eyes.
"What's your name?" I asked, brushing some hair from my face.
"Faye." She curtsied slightly.
"Well, Faye, I'm not your lady. I'm Vivian or Viv." I turned to my packs, looking for a change of clothes.
"Your father asked for new clothing to be brought to you. I have laid out a dress for you on the bed." Faye stated, motioning to the bed.
"A dress? No no, I need pants." I groaned.
"I'm sorry, my-. I mean Vivian." Faye kept her head bowed.
"Not your fault. You can go. I can dress myself." Faye curtsied again and left quickly. I turned back to the dress. It was white and poofy. Ugh, a dress.
My hands brushed over the dress before I peeled off my clothes from the ride to the castle. I felt gross but only had a small wash basin and cloth. I quickly washed the necessities before putting on the dress. It fit like a glove. The door creaked open, startling me. I turned on my heel, looking towards the door.

"I've never seen you in a dress." Geralt grunted. Sweat soaked his brow, mud covered his pants legs and boots.
"Geralt!" I ran to him, tightly hugging him. I was so glad to see him. He'd finally made it. "You came."

"Did you doubt I would come for you?" His arms engulfed me, pulling me into his chest. "I would go to the ends of the continent for you. Don't ever doubt that." His lips pressed to the top of my head. I finally released him from the embrace.
"So, do you like the dress?" His eyes returned to my figure, scanning me. He looked like he could devour me again. He only gave a grunt back.
"Would it kill you to just say, wow Viv you look pretty?" I huffed, walking back to the bed where my knives laid. "It's like pulling teeth from a ghoul." I grabbed one and slipped it into the top of the dress and secured it under my breast. I took another one and secured it to my thigh with a piece of cloth that I'm assuming goes in one's hair.
Geralt's hand smoothed around my waist. "You look beautiful, Vivian." His warm breath touched my neck. I smiled, dropping my dress back down to the floor. Geralt's lips pressed against my neck in a soft kiss.
"Alright, none of that here." I giggled, wiggling away from him.
"Why didn't you run?" His voice became stern and cold. His golden gaze icy as well.
"Because... I'm tired of running. We built a house together. I want this over with." I sighed, sitting on the end of the bed. "But the king doesn't seem like he will let me go easily...." I put my face in my hands. "And I don't trust him." Geralt's hand pressed against my back. "I'll call the servant back up and get her to draw you a bath so you can freshen up before breakfast." I pulled the cord to call the servant that was at the end of the bed at the post.
Geralt sat at the end of the bed with me, his hand still on my back. His golden gaze was still set on me.
"Why didn't you come to me?" He asked.
"Because I knew you'd just try to fight the soldiers. I didn't want to put you at risk."
"Why didn't you come to me?" His voice colder. I sat there quietly, staring back at him. I had no words. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know why I didn't go to him. I just wanted this over. I didn't want him to be in harms way.
"I don't know, Geralt..." I sighed, laying my head against his shoulder. "I... I just wanted this over. I didn't think you'd let me come." The servant arrived in the doorway, startled by the man sitting next to me. My head started up at the sound of her gasp.
"Faye, don't be alarmed. This is Geralt, my..." I looked towards him, then back at Faye. "My friend. Can you draw him a bath here? He's had a long ride and needs one before breakfast." I explained. Faye bowed, beginning to prepare warm water to dump into the bath.
"Friend?" Geralt whispered in my ear. "I wouldn't call what we do something that friends do." I giggled a little bit, hitting his chest lightly. Faye made quick work of his bath. When she left, he dipped into it, cleaning himself quickly before putting a new set of clothes on. We began making our way to the dining area where the king, queen and young boy from yesterday were eating. The queen gasped upon our arrival and the younger boy rose from his seat.
"Guards! Arrest that mutant!" The young boy squeaked.
"No!" The king yelled, pounded his fist against the table.
"This is Geralt of Rivia, a friend." I said boldly as I glared at the queen and her son.
"Yes, Geralt has hunted many of our monsters in Aedirn. He is welcome in our home." The king rose from his seat and motioned to the two empty chairs opposing the queen and boy. We both took our seats as the servants served us food. Geralt's hand found my knee as it bounced nervously under the table. I could feel the glare from the queen and the boy. I quickly glared back, unintimidated by their gaze. The boy had the same hair as the mother but the face of the father. He couldn't have been much younger than me. Maybe 5 or so years. He was my half brother. The one who had been trying to kill me. I felt something catch in my throat as I looked at Geralt.

"So, daughter. You know Geralt of Rivia?" The king broke the silence everyone sat in.
"Yes, he and I have a home together in Ban Ard." I responded, moving my gaze back to my food. I ate slowly, choking down each piece. I wanted to kill the boy for what he'd done. All the people he's killed by sending raiders. But who had sent the ones that killed my mother?
"Oh, you two-" The king began.
"Yes." I interrupted before he could finish.
"Oh, well..." The king cleared his throat. "Congratulations. When were the nuptials?" Geralt nearly choked on his wine and bread.
"We aren't married." I muttered, refusing to look up. This man may not have been my father but it was still an uncomfortable conversation.
"That won't do. No daughter of mine will be ruined by a man and remain unmarried." The king demanded, tossing his napkin onto his plate. "You two will be married by end of day tomorrow." I gasped and looked towards Geralt. He had gone paler than usual. I wasn't sure what to say or do.
"We will marry when we decide." Geralt spoke up. The kings gaze snapped towards him as well as everyone else's in the room. The tension grew. I guess I could talk back to the king but no one else was allowed to.
"You will marry my daughter since you have ruined her. Or I will see fit to make sure there's one less Witcher in the world." The king rose from his chair, stooping towards Geralt and I.
"Both of you stop!" I screamed, standing up to put myself between the two. "I will marry who I want, when I want." I threw my napkin onto the table and stormed out towards my room.

The castles hallways confused me, sending me into a state of utter lost. Instead of finding my room, I found a large open room. Windows lined the walls, letting in a soft breeze and warm sunlight. I leaned out of one of the windows and looked out towards the city. That city was supposed to be part of my kingdom. All I wanted to do was go home with Geralt and never return.

The hair on my neck stood up. I felt a presence behind me. It was unlike anything I'd felt before. My hands found the knife under my breast as I turned on my heel. I saw those icy blue eyes I'd recognized before, but the world turned black immediately after.

—————————————————————

Author's Note:
Hi! Thank you for reading! If you're enjoying the story, please vote or comment! I need the motivation to keep writing this story! Also any comments, concerns, constructive criticism is appreciated! Thank you!!