Chapter One

Dahlia 

Everything will be fine. I've put in so much effort studying for this. Two weeks and a day, but who's counting?

I'm seated in the second row, right beside the window in Mrs. Kinley's classroom. The windows are adorned with paper autumn decorations—paper leaves, paper pumpkins, and even paper representations of a Starbucks pumpkin spiced latte and Halloween decorations. It's become a tradition for our class since we were freshmen. On the first day of autumn, Mrs. Kinley would find the exact date online, and we'd create these decorations. She's not just a dedicated teacher but also an enthusiastic decorator.

Covering oscillations isn't particularly challenging. I've tackled tougher topics before. Though I feel a little apprehensive about my new study method, I don't think it could be that bad. After all, I truly love AP Physics. Camille often calls me a psycho for it, but I find it interesting. Even if this particular grade falls slightly below my usual standards, I shouldn't worry.

"Hey, Dahlia, don't panic. Everything will be fine," Sofia reassures me, wrapping her arm around me in a side hug. She's been my best friend since we were three years old. Our mothers are close friends, so it was only natural for us to become inseparable.

I turn to face her. "I know everything will be fine."

She raises an eyebrow. "You don't look like you believe it."

"Why did I decide to change my study method? My old approach was perfect! I don't know why I had to change it, Sofi."

Sofi lets me rest my head on her shoulder and gently pats my head. "Look, nerd, I don't think changing your study method will drastically impact your grades for the entire semester. Unless you adopt my study method, which is not doing anything at all."

I giggle. "You mean the worst study method?"

"The BEST study method, you mean? Absolutely," she replies, pulling out her phone from under the table. "Seriously, Dahlia, I don't understand why you work so hard all the time. If I scored anything above 60% on that test, I'd be partying."

"You know exactly why I work so hard," I say, glancing towards the right corner of the classroom.

And there he is—James "smart ass" Chen, wearing a dark grey hoodie and jeans, with his light brown hair and distinct Asian features. He always sports a black bracelet on his left arm. I've known James for as long as I've known Sofia. He's one of Aunt Jules' sons. Whenever my mom and Aunt Jules catch up, James and his twin brother Jacob would often come over to our house. Jacob is the friendly one, always wearing a big, welcoming smile on his face. He's easy to get along with and approachable, which explains his popularity at our high school. 

James, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of Jacob. Don't get me wrong, he's popular too—and a notorious ladies' man, just like Jacob. But James lacks the same friendliness. If I had to describe him in three words, they would be cold-blooded, broody, and unforgiving.

He has always irritated me, right from the moment we started talking. He's constantly convinced he's better and smarter. That's how our rivalry began, and it's my mission to prove to him that he's far from being the "smarter" or "better" one.

James locks eyes with me from the corner of the classroom, and in that moment, I decide to turn my attention back to Sofia.

"Because of him, of course," she rolls her eyes. "This is our senior year of high school, Dahlia. You should be focusing on your own path, looking into colleges that interest you."

"I have been looking, Sofi. In fact, I already know what my Plan A university will be."

"And that would be?"

"Granite Bay University. It's the top university in the United States for studying aerospace engineering—"

Sofia interrupts me, teasingly. "Granite Bay? Sounds more like a community college for Australian surfer boys."

"Well, it's not, so don't think of it that way."

Just as Sofia opens her mouth to respond, a loud voice fills the classroom. "Everybody, take a seat if you want to receive your test results."

Mrs. Kinley distributes the tests to the other students. When she reaches my table, she says, "Dahlia Harper," and hands me my test.

I hold the paper and look at the number written in red sharpie. It's a 98%. I breathe a sigh of relief.

Sofia swiftly snatches the paper from my hands. "See, you stupid nerd?"

"Stupid and nerd don't go well in the same sentence, Sofi."

Rolling her eyes, she says, "I'm saying it anyway. I told you everything would be fine."

"Sofia Volkov," Mrs. Kinley calls out, passing her paper without making eye contact.

Sofia lets out a low whistle. "A 55%? Damn, I'm on fire this semester!"

Mrs. Kinley gives us five minutes to discuss the test. It's something she always allows us to do. She believes it helps us identify our mistakes and understand how we should have answered the questions. Mrs. Kinley is a teacher who truly loves her job and takes it seriously. She wants her students to succeed in life, which is why everyone prefers her over other teachers.

I glance at the clock above the blackboard. It reads 09:15 a.m. After this, I'll have two hours of psychology class and another period for science.

"Looks like it's time for the comparison, flower," I hear a voice say, and I raise my eyes to see the most annoying pair of dark brown eyes known to mankind.

"James, you know I don't like that nickname," I respond.

"Dearest flower, you know me well enough to know I don't care about what you like," he says, prompting Brandon, my classmate in front of me, to scoot away so he can sit facing me.

James has this strange, cringe-worthy obsession with the nickname he's given me. He enjoys annoying me with it, as my name is the name of a particular flower from the Asteraceae family. He's aware that I dislike the nickname, but he chooses to use it anyway. According to him, flowers are weak, delicate, and easily to be destroyed. He believes I embody those qualities. But I'm here to prove him wrong.

James snatches my test from the table, looking at it closely. "A 98% on a test about oscillations? Oh, my darling flower, I would have expected better from you."

"Okay, seriously, James," Sofia interjects, reclaiming my test. "Yours can't be that much better."

Without diverting his gaze from me, he replies, "Of course it can be."

He pulls out his test, pointing to the large red mark with a 99% written on it.

"It's just a one percent difference, Chen," Sofia snaps at him.

"One percent makes a significant difference, Sofia," he retorts, turning his head back towards me. "Looks like someone's going to be quiet for a while."

"I thought you enjoyed it when I'm quiet."

"Not as much as I enjoy seeing you flustered whenever I prove that I'm indeed the better one."

Before I can respond, he stands up and returns to his original seat.