Chapter Six

James

I'm sitting at the bar with Niko and Jacob, taking another sip of my drink as I reflect on what unfolded just five minutes ago. Honestly, I'm as surprised as anyone would be. The whole

situation caught me off guard.

Earlier, I watched Dahlia dancing with Sofia and other girls from our school. They were having a blast, moving to the rhythm and singing along to the songs. But what stuck in my mind was seeing Dahlia pressed against Brody's chest, the scene turning a shade of crimson in my memory. The way he touched her, even the way he looked at her, ignited something aggressive in me that I didn't know I had.

I'm not one to threaten. It seems pointless, aggressive, and far from classy in my book.

However, this was the first time I witnessed Dahlia in such close contact with a guy, and it bothered me. The idea of any guy touching her the way Brody did makes my blood boil. Maybe the situation is partially my fault; I'm the one who dared Dahlia to dance with anyone other than

Sofia. But I certainly didn't expect her to dance with a guy, especially with a guy like Brody.

This whole scenario is a stark reminder of why I keep my distance from Dahlia. She's been a distraction since the day we met when we were kids. I even struggle to concentrate in class knowing she's right behind me, and it pisses me off. I attend school to secure my future, a goal I've worked towards since primary school. The fact that Dahlia could potentially derail me from this path fuels my frustration. Oddly enough, the rivalry we share keeps me anchored to my

studies—I'm almost grateful for that.

"Care to talk about what went down earlier?" Niko looks at me.

I let out a sigh. "I'd rather not."

Niko exchanges a glance with Jacob before returning his attention to me. "Because it seemed like you were a little, my friend."

"I wasn't jealous."

Jacob chimes in, "Yes of course, because you hate her"

"Sure, because my hatred for someone would naturally lead me to reacting aggressively if I saw them dancing with someone else. That's what happens when you hate someone right?" Niko says sarcastically.

"I said I'd rather not discuss it."

Jacob sighs. "And I'd rather not witness Niko undressing that girl in red with his eyes, but life surprises us."

I glance at Niko and, indeed, his gaze is fixed on a blonde girl in a red dress that seems shorter than Snow White's seven dwarves.

Niko snaps back at Jacob, "I was appreciating the design of her dress, not undressing her with my eyes. Fashion is an art. You of all people should know that, Uncle Josh has a ton of weird artwork stored in the house"

Jacob rolls his eyes and looks back to me. "James, as your 'favorite' sibling—"

"You're my only sibling."

"That's beside the point. Let me finish. As your older sibling, it's my duty to look out for you and—"

"I'm a mere two minutes older than you"

"Quit interrupting. I can't watch your back if I'm clueless about what's going on in that head of yours. You've never acted like this before, so why start now? Particularly with someone you

supposedly hate?"

Niko interjects, "Our buddy here is crushing hard. He just hasn't realized it yet."

"For the hundredth time, I'm not crushing on her," I say, taking a sip of my drink.

"If you say so. But if anything happens, I demand to be the best man at your wedding," Niko

declares.

"No way, I'm his brother. It's my right to be the best man," Jacob asserts.

"I'm sorry, but I staked my claim first. If anything blossoms between him and Dahlia, I'll be the best man."

"That's bullshit-"

"Enough, you two!" I snap, before their little argument goes any farther. "None of you are claiming the best man role for a wedding that isn't happening. There won't be anything between Dahlia and me; she's just a passing distraction."

Niko looks at me with a bemused expression. "So 'distraction' is now another word for 'crush'? This generation is truly fucked."

Note from the author:

Hi guys! I'm sorry for updating so late, I was on holiday for about two weeks in Albania and I didn't have the time to update the story. More parts coming soon!

Love,
Addie