chapter twelve

Dahlia

James and I are sitting in the corner of the ice cream shop. I didn't understand why we needed to drive fifteen minutes to get here, even though there was another ice cream shop near our school. I'm DEFINITELY not complaining though. The ice cream is delicious. It probably wouldn't taste the same if we went to the shop near our school. I asked if we could just get the ice cream to go and eat it in the car on the way home, but James didn't like that idea of course. I'm pretty sure he disliked every idea I've made since we've known each other. 

I take another scoop from my chocolate and vanilla ice cream (TRUST this is the best combo) whereas James kind of enjoys his mint chocolate chip ice cream. I roll my eyes. No wonder he doesn't like ice cream, he picks the wrong flavours. 

I can't stand the silence, so I start talking; "You said you wanted to start up conversations, where's the convo here my guy?"

"I prefer watching you, but if you want to talk, we can talk", he says casually.

After a few seconds of silence, James opens his mouth again. "Did you genuinely like Brody's touch?"

I nearly choke on my ice cream. Really? Out of all the questions he could've asked, he asked THAT question. "Excuse me?"

"Do I seriously have to repeat myself, flower?", he raises his eyebrows, "Did you like it when Brody touched you?"

At Aunt Jules' house I just said that I liked his touch to make a point. And that was on Saturday, I don't understand why he still wants to push me with that question. 

"That scene was so last week, James"

"That doesn't answer my question."

"So what if I did? It's none of your business anyway"

"That's when you're wrong, my flower", he leans a little closer, "your business automatically becomes my business"

I lean back and cross my arms, "How is it that a few days ago, you didn't want any of my 'business' unless it had something to do with grades. And suddenly you want your nose stuck on everything I'm doing? It doesn't make sense James."

He looks at me for a moment before I continue.

"You never invited me to go out anywhere with you. You hated me since we were five or even younger. Hell, we hated EACH OTHER. What changed?"

"I'm not sure", he tells me.

"Well then, figure it out before asking me questions like that"

I eat the last scoop of my ice cream and then I proceed to sit in silence.

Like nothing happened, James asks another question. This time it wasn't so disturbing as the other one. "You wear green a lot, why is that?"

"What kind of question is that?"

"Don't answer my question with another question, flower. You wear green a lot. Almost to the point of when someone says your name, I can only think of the colour green"

I suppose I wear green a lot. "I just like it", I reply. As soon as I start talking, he starts staring at me. Focused. I think I'm getting a little uncomfortable.. although this feeling might not be discomfort. I look down to my empty ice cream bowl.

 "I think I got the love for the colour green from my mother. Green is soft, peaceful. Quiet almost. I like the feeling of peace I get when I see the colour."

"I'll note it then. What's going to be the product of our assignment? Should we do a presentation?"

His question makes me think for a second. Ms Berkley gave us the option to hand in our assignment in different ways. I think she'd prefer a presentation though.

"Uhm, I guess we can present it to the class"

"Good", he says, "I already have a few things noted"

"Me too". I lie. I guess I'll catch up noting everything later.

Hey guys! 

It's Addie here. How are y'all? It's the first day of 2024. I have a feeling that time flies by so quick. Despite all the difficult exams. I'll try not to blink this year, so I can truly enjoy it.

How do you like the story so far? What's your opinion? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts. :)

If you want to know more about the story, or want to follow me in general, make sure to check out my socials!

IG and Threads: adiaryoftworeaders 

XOXO

Addie <3