Chapter Ten

James

Something changed since I saw Dahlia that day.

I can't seem to stop thinking about that moment. Her. The way her smooth skin felt like under my touch, her eyes locked with mine. The moment has been on replay since the moment she left the house.

Something in me changed. Instead of trying to avoid her, all I want to do is try to get closer to her. Even though my body always had seemed to gravitate towards her, now I don't feel like I want to fight it anymore. It's like I've been drugged by the way her body shivered when my hand was on her waist or when I felt how incredibly soft her tits were.

All my life I have been avoiding her. Avoiding the thought of what would happen if I let myself touch a strand of her wavy hair or how her soft, plump lips would feel like on my tense skin. Avoiding her, the distraction that wouldn't get me anywhere near my dream scholarship. Now I think of nothing else other than her.

I want more. I want more of her.

Undoubtedly, there's been a noticeable shift in her behavior. She avoids meeting my gaze and opts for the farthest seat from mine in class. While I'm eager to close the distance between us, 

she seems intent on creating more space.

I can't entirely blame her, though. I spent the past 17 years avoiding her. However, if she's determined to keep her distance, she'll have to try harder than that. After what transpired that day, not even an earthquake could drive her away from me.

Glancing to my right, I see her diligently writing down notes in her light green notebook. Today, she wears a touch of makeup and a new shade of lip gloss, a bright pink shade on her lips.

Our current assignment delves into the depths of our supposed hatred for each other, and I intend to leverage every opportunity it presents to connect with Dahlia. I know she can't escape this as much as she wants to, since she's as much of an academic overachiever as I am. Our motivations may differ, but the outcome remains the same.

"I'll treat you to ice cream," I announce abruptly, diverting her attention from her notebook.

She regards me with confusion. "Excuse me?"

"I said I'll take you out for ice cream today, after school."

Her eyes widen, "Why?"

"We're tasked with exploring, and I quote, 'the depths of our hatred.' So that's exactly what we'll do."

"You think I'll just go along with it?" She raises an eyebrow. "You didn't even ask; you insisted."

"Because you have no other choice, my flower. We'd have to do this anyway, so why not today?"

"We can do that in class. I don't see why we should get ice cream."

"You're a private person, my flower. Privacy is precious to you. I know you wouldn't share anything close to your heart in a class full of people who can hear you. We need to do this in private, so why not enjoy ice cream along the way?"

She hesitates, "You've never asked me to do anything with you in 17 years. Our entire lives, 

James."

I love the sound of her saying my name. "Well, I'm asking now. Be ready by the end of the school day. Meet me at the entrance, and we'll take my car."

"What if I don't show up?" She challenges me with her arms crossed. It's always been her habit to put up a fight after I say anything.

"I don't think you want to challenge me on this one."

Before she can respond, the bell rings, and everyone begins to pack up and leave.

As I grab my bag and rise from my seat, I whisper in her ear, "Don't be late, my flower."

Our algebra teacher unexpectedly released us ten minutes early today, so I decided to wait for my beloved Dahlia at the entrance. Before heading here, I informed Niko that I wouldn't be giving him and Jacob a ride home because I had a personal matter to attend to. Niko got furious 

and hasn't stopped complaining since.

"You're such a traitor! I thought we were bros!" he exclaims.I look at him and reply, "I didn't say we weren't bros, but I do have something private to take care of."

He huffs, "And you couldn't have mentioned that BEFORE you drove us to school in your car?"

"Okay, maybe I should've mentioned it earlier," I admit.

"OF COURSE, you should've! And seriously, what's so important that you have to ditch your best friends at the last minute? Can't you just give us a ride home and then do whatever your cold-hearted self needs to do?"

"No," I shake my head, "Besides, your sister can drive you home."

"My sister isn't going to do anything! I ticked her off this morning; there's no way she'll drive me home now."

"Well, that's your problem. Being a lousy brother doesn't always yield favorable results, I presume."

Niko playfully throws a mock punch in my direction. "You know what? This relationship we have is abusive, and I won't stand for it."

"Feel free," I reply as I check my phone. Almost three minutes left until school's over.

"Not only are you keeping secrets from me now, but you're also ditching me! I might have to contact my therapist for this one. It's triggering something in me. Maybe depression."

"Well, if you need someone to pay for it, just reach out to me, and I'll Venmo you the money."

"MY FATHER IS A BILLIONAIRE; I DON'T NEED MONEY. I NEED MENTAL STABILITY."

"Then maybe your billionaire father can buy it for you."

"YOU JERK—"

Niko gets cut off by the sounds of students pouring out of the halls. Despite the crowd at the exit, my eyes are locked onto a familiar pair of green eyes and pink lips.

My precious flower has returned.

Hey guys!

I hope you all love the story until now. I had an extremely stressful week full of exams, so I couldn't find the time to write anything until now. I've decided to publish the new chapters every Saturday, so you guys wouldn't wait that long.

Interesting news: my reading bestie and I have started a bookstagram account (@adiaryoftworeaders) a few days ago and if you guys are curious, you are welcome to check it out and follow us!

And I'd love to know, who's your favourite character in the story so far? Feel free to drop your opinion in the comments.

Love you all, xoxo