Chapter Five

Dahlia

"Your mind's in disturbia, it's like the darkness is the light." Sofia and I enthusiastically sing Rihanna's "Disturbia" while heading to Eli's house in the car. Though truthfully, I'm the one singing while Sofia nearly shouts the lyrics. It seems she's more focused on the song than on driving, but we're lucky that Eli's place in Manhattan doesn't have much traffic, even during rush hour.

Sofia looks stunning in her shiny purple top and purple leather pants, her eye shadow sparkling with purple glitter like a disco ball. She's always skilled at doing her makeup for parties and special occasions.

As we approach Eli's driveway, we're both amazed by what we see. Eli's mansion comes into view, complete with a basketball court and a gigantic pool where people are joyfully splashing around.

"Who needs a basketball court AND a gigantic pool?" Sofia comments.

We enter the mansion and find Eli chatting with some guys from the school's football team. He greets us, "Hey Sofi! Dahlia! Glad you could make it. If you guys need a drink, you can find the bar in the dance room. Oh, and don't forget to tag me if you're posting anything on Instagram, got it?"

"Sure thing," I reply. The place is bustling with people, including cheerleaders, members of the debate club, athletes from various sports, and more.

"I have an arcade room, a pool, and even hired a DJ for tonight," Eli boasts, taking a sip from his cup.

Sofi whistles, "Dang, you sure know how to throw a party."

"Of course, just make sure you guys vote for me as having the best party of the year," he winks at us and disappears into the crowd.

"I completely forgot about the vote," I say to Sofia. Each year, the school seniors host parties, and at the end of the year, everyone votes on the best one. The winner gets their face on the first page of the yearbook with the title of the best party host. It's a tradition at our school, and nowthat we're seniors, a lot of students are hosting their own parties.

"Let's see if Eli's party is even worth our vote," Sofia says, leading me to the bar.

It's clear that our friend Eli went all out for this party. The bar offers a variety of menus and drinks, with options including alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. I opt for a 'rose garden' cocktail, while Sofia chooses a 'paradise on earth' cocktail. Technically, we're not supposed to be drinking alcohol, and I'm not entirely sure if I can handle it. My father once accidentally ordered a tiramisu with alcohol when I was nine, and my face turned red and dry. Needless to say, that restaurant didn't stay in business for long after that incident. 

"Sofi, what'll happen if our dad finds out you drank alcohol at the party?" Niko suddenly speaks from behind me. Sofia and I turn to face him, with Jacob and James joining the conversation.

They must have come together.

Sofia takes another sip before replying, "Well, then it's a good thing he won't find out."

"What if he does?" Niko persists.

Sofia laughs, "Then I'll tell mom you brought a girl home last Saturday. And remember, if mom is angry, dad gets even angrier."

"We'll both keep quiet then," Niko adds and orders a drink.

As I observe Niko and Sofia engaged in their continuous bickering, I can't shake the feeling of someone's gaze fixed upon me. Glancing around, I notice James staring at me persistently, and it's a little unsettling and confusing. To divert my attention, I decide to strike up a conversation with Jacob.