013

JANAE CARTER
Barbados📍
Sunday, December 17, 2023
1 P.M.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard Flight 8B4 with service from Barbados to New York. We are currently third in line for take-off and are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes time," I listened as the flight attendant spoke off the very sensitive intercom. I could hear every breath the girl was taking.

I started bouncing my leg up and down, looking out the window at the wing of the aircraft.

No matter how many planes I go on, before every single departure I always have a bad feeling about the plane crashing or something.

After seven minutes like the flight attendant said we were in the air and I was falling asleep.

5 HOURS LATER

Everything felt different when I got off the plane. I spent six months in the Caribbean on a modeling tour. It felt weird being apart from my normal group of people and only being able to see them through the phone. I haven't been in New York nor have I seen my people since everything happened.

I walked to baggage claim and immediately started looking for my suitcases because I don't got time for the crowds of people.

Jenny

Damn that lo back in new york

Yes ma'am I just landed

Purrr

Ya momma picking you up?

Duh

Just checking

I looked down, grabbed my suitcases, and put them on the ground, walking to the door.

Once I got outside, I sat down, bouncing my leg up and down as I waited.

20 minutes later, I heard someone calling my name from somewhere.

"Janaeeee!" I furrowed my eyebrows, looking around for the voice.

As I looked to my left, Jenn came running towards me with her arms open. I stood up and opened my arms, smiling as she got closer.

"I missed you bro!" she wrapped her arms around me, picking me up and spinning around.

"I missed you too," I laughed. "You mad warm!"

"I'm mad warm or you mad cold?" she raised her eyebrow as she put me down.

"I'm mad cold, but I was not expecting it to be this cold," I shook my head.

She turned to walk to my mom's car and stopped in her tracks.

"Girl you knew it was gonna be cold," she side-eyed me and wrapped her arm around my neck.

I rolled my eyes as we kept walking.

"Why you ain't let us know you was coming back?" she furrowed her eyebrows at me.

"I don't know," I shrugged and looked at her.

She stared at me and analyzed my face.