2. Wrong Side of Heaven

.

.

.

You wouldn’t expect to see a five year old meditating, would you?

Maybe you’d see them pretending to meditate, when really they’re asleep.

Hell, I didn’t even know if I was doing it right, but I knew I needed to try to do something like it. Since my body was too weak to train magic properly, I decided it was best to train my nervous system to better hold ethernano and grow what my magic power could be in the future.

The book she gave us pointed out the duality of magicians. Firstly, all magicians have a sort of core inside them that determines how much magic you can use. When its empty, the magician can’t use magic without resting and letting their body absorb the ethernano in the air to recharge themselves. This is where the duality comes into play.

The amount of ethernano a person can hold in their body can be strengthened by using their nervous system as a secondary storage space that can be trained to hold larger amounts. However, the people who typically train to strengthen their capacity tend to ignore their body. This leaves them more vulnerable to magicians who focus on their body and use more physical magic attacks.

It only made sense for me to try and grow my magic capacity while I’m young and focus on my body when I’m older and still growing. It seemed like the thing to do, at least, because while the matron is nearing sixty, she still scares all the more muscular farmers. Her magic was called “Thunder Body” and caused her heartbeat to strengthen her body using the vibrations, and relied on her having a healthy heart and strong body.

Since our lifeforce is tied to ethernano, having a high capacity allows her to have a healthier body than most old ladies by that alone. But she also took good care of her body, even if it isn’t to the same degree of what she used to. That’s why I was to do both, just like her. To be able to live longer and healthy and continue to learn more.

But that didn’t mean I felt I was successful. I was too stressed. Anytime I was in the matron’s office studying when she got a call on her communication lacrima she would quickly usher me out of the room. William and the older kids were talking about rumours of kids vanishing without a trace. And to add to those rumours, the matron made a rule that we weren’t allowed to go outside after the sun had set.

But it didn’t matter what rules she had set.

When night fell, half of the village quickly erupted into flames. A group of cloaked men with masks covering their upper half of their faces began to set siege to the village, and no one was able to stop them. Who they didn’t kill with magic, they killed with swords. They began to mercilessly cut everyone down with smiles on their faces.

“Take the kids! Slaughter the adults!”

Those were the words we heard before the orphanage became their primary target. The bigger kids tried to calm the rest of us down, but it was obvious they were still freaking out no matter how much they tried to hide it. I couldn’t deny it myself, I was terrified. Every part of my body was tremoring with undisputed fear.