9. Surprising Opportunity

.

.

.

“You could and should be in worse shape, all things considered

“You could and should be in worse shape, all things considered. You’re malnourished, and your wrists and hands have suffered from an extensive time of limited blood circulation.”

One of the guards had escorted me through the streets after they had confused me for a threat. The magic aura I had made them think of me for one of the bandits that had been trying to sneak into town and fence their ill gotten goods, however that changed when they got closer to try and capture me. The bandages around my wrists, eye, bruised skin, and extremely thin body set them off that something else was going on. One of them had the sense to take me to a doctor first and leave it to the guard captain to figure out what to do with me afterwards.

People looked at me in confusion and hushed whispers as a gate guard escorted a young child through town, each of them wearing some form of robes with a sash or rope holding it together around the waist, and each of varying quality and colour. The more dirty ones appeared near the edges of the village where the farms started and seemed more oriented to physical labour than fashion, which changed as we got further inwards to the main market towards more ornate designs with embroidery and jewellery accentuating the men and women that passed through.

The guard dressed in similar but more fitting black robes and black but baggy pants that seemed more fit towards combat than style, however the uniform nature and armoured bracers still made it standout as comfortable but functional apparel.

He guided me towards the more temple-like area where the doctor’s facility sat and led me inside before going to make a report to his captain.

The doctor, an old lady with short greying hair and light wrinkles, had me lay on a table and hovered her hands over my body. As she moved them, a gentle pale blue flame emitted from her palms and I could feel my smaller injuries heal while her face twisted into one of concern as she studied my body’s condition.

After she had told me about my body's condition, she stepped out from the room I was in and came back with a jar of gummies.

“Eat four of these right now, and a couple every morning and night for the coming months.”

“What are they,” I said as I took the jar in my hands. It opened easily and the scent of fruits wafted from the top and made my stomach growl.

The doctor laughed at my embarrassment before answering. “Vitamins. They’ll help replenish what your body desperately needs. I’ll write up a recommended diet for you to follow to get some meat on those bones, but those can carry a large amount of the aid you’ll need. Potent little things they are, made to help the guards push themselves when they end up deciding to train themselves to their limit.”

I popped the first one in my mouth and the delicious slurry of berries almost made me cry tears of joy as I ate more. She took the jar of gummies out of my hand though with a laugh.