23. The Violet Night Pt. 3

A/N: Not proofread

.

.

.

The young girl shoved herself out of the embrace of her mother, slight worry and fear evident on her face

The young girl shoved herself out of the embrace of her mother, slight worry and fear evident on her face. She expected to die, but the figure before her was acting like something else entirely had just happened making more questions appear in her mind by the second.

Why do you look different? What is this place? What is going on? Did you kill everyone? Why? What? How?

Questions poured out of her panicked expression the moment they popped up, all the while her mother just stood there and observed her daughter with a solemn expression and tired smile. One of her six hands reached out and landed on the younger's shoulders making her snap back to reality.

"Because you're weak."

That one sentence pushed the girl over an invisible edge. It was a reassurance of the thoughts that were plaguing her earlier, and that reassurance was exactly what would cause events to trigger beyond what Empusa could have ever imagined.

Lyssa instantly began to shake as tears slowly began to form over the edge of her widened eyes. The mother completely ignored the sudden shift in demeanour, using the moment of silence to continue while circling her daughter.

"You're weak. I was weak. Your father was weak. All of us, every single member of the Ifriti line and those associated with us were too weak. Mard Geer and the abominations under his control hunted us down out of fear for my creation, my mistake. It was a mistake I deeply regret, and I will do anything to correct my foolishness.

You see, I thought that they could be communicated with. I thought that if our kind was slowly weakening in strength with each generation, the technology they possess could help remove the human blood within us. That they could make us full demons again, and that all they needed would have been something to trade for access to this technology. But all that did was paint a target on our backs, so I had to figure out how to remove that weakness myself. And in death, I did. I found a way to make us whole again!"

"W-What are you talking about?"

When Empusa turned her attention to her daughter, she did so with a face splitting, toothy and narrowed eyes that locked onto Lyssa's trembling hands.

"Why, what do you mean? You're currently going through the demonization process right now!"

As Captain Tatsuo neared the location of the guards that were running towards the gate, a large eruption of violet flame erupted near the gate. The sudden inferno levelled several city blocks in its spontaneous combustion, sending three sets of charred skeletons flying through the air. Tatsuo narrowed his eyes at the corpses before running faster with renewed vigour.

"Normal humans can't use magic that is fundamental to another race's nature, you see. For us, the devils of the Ifriti clan, that's fire devil magic, these lavender purple flames that have illuminated such a wondrous night. But thanks to that bald fool I enslaved, I learned how to enchant that magic into people, but doing this instils into their body something called a demonic seed that would eventually overwrite their human nature and make them into fully fledged demons. I attempted to accelerate the process that this seed would hatch whenever I possessed the people around us, but the body fought back against it too much, treating it like a cancer instead and causing them all to die."