39. Riptide

.

.

.

The crisp, white snow crunched under my feet as I walked down the streets of Magnolia. The sounds of the bustling city filled my ears as I buried my face further into my scarf. Laughter, murmuring, and the rustling of water as boats navigated the manmade rivers that flowed through the cliffside city echoed off the walls of the buildings.

Kardia Cathedral dominated the skyline from every angle, and I was well aware of the Fairy Tail guildhall situated on the city's outskirts. Despite assuming the appearance of a young adult woman with brown hair, a persistent wave of nervousness enveloped me as I moved through the streets. The presence of both Mirajane and Erza in the city only heightened my unease.

"Come on, you can do it, Lyssa. Just sign up for lessons and get out..."

Hands plunged into my jacket pockets, I strolled down the streets, vigilant, my eyes scanning for a particular studio that matched the flier nestled in my purse. Discovering the lime green stonework building I sought, I paled at the sealed entrance. Just as I was about to read the poster taped to the door, a maternal voice beckoned my attention.

"If you're seeking ballet lessons, you'll have to wait until next year."

When I turned around I was met with a voluptuous woman dressed in warm white clothes. Her blonde hair emerged from underneath a hood to frame a picturesque face with penetrating red eyes. She was holding an umbrella to shield herself from the snowfall.

"Why so?"

"Well, ignoring that Christmas is this weekend, the instructor was in a constant quarrel with one of the students, and the two ended up taking it to the instructor's academy to see who could lead a better class."

"Why would a student argue with a teacher?"

"Disagreement of practice," she said with a shrug, "Madam Bonette seemed to have pushed an easier routine with an emphasis on flair that would put a lot of strain on the body, so much strain that it would leave most of the practitioners debilitatingly injured before they were even middle-aged.

The young Akihiko condemned this practice, which is considered the standard across Ishgar, and pushed for a harder, more artistic style that focused on building the dancer's bodily health in a manner that would support their body instead of crippling it."

For a brief moment, I was taken aback by the possibility of reuniting with someone from Himura but decided to chalk it up to matching names.

"If there's a chance of someone being injured and being unable to continue dancing, then it shouldn't be an argument. Ballet is a sport, and physical health should be a priority. A practice that encourages health should be the standard, not the other."

"You would think it would be, wouldn't it?" The woman said as she looked towards the sign overhanging the dance studio's door. "The standard of practice must often meet the demand of expectations. And in this age where performances can be recorded, distributed, and sold ballet has become an affront to its former self. Instead of focusing on the emotions and the performance, it has become all about the tricks and stunts that woo and awe the casual consumer.

It's exciting to watch a dancer spin thirty-six times on the spot, but what about the other hour and a half you're in the theatre? Ballet has begun emerging into extremities that go against the fundamentals of artistry!"

I could see her grip tightening around the grip of the umbrella she was holding, her arm flexing with a barely perceptible level of restraint. Even if her face and voice remained largely calm, frustration could be seen behind her eyes.