5. Prelude to Freedom

.

.

.

I woke up later that day to hear more voices than earlier inside of the cell

When I sat up a small pain hit my side causing me to wince and hold my hand to my waist on instinct. Feeling the bandages that were under my palm caused me to be aware of them all. My entire body was wrapped in makeshift bandages.

Looking around the cell, the familiar blue hair pulled my attention to Jellal who was talking to Simon and Erza. The trio were talking to each other in hushed voices and I wasn't able to make out what they were saying.

I raised my hand toward my eye and felt the same makeshift bandages wrapped around my head and covering my left eye socket. When I pressed down on it, I felt my eyelids cave in, a reminder that there wasn't something under them anymore...

"It's nice to finally see you awake, kiddo."

An old man seated next to a wall talked to me. He had a long white beard and his hair was tied up. He wasn't wearing a shirt, which isn't uncommon here, and his face was kind. A smile was stretched across his face that was so large it made him squint.

"A-are you the one that healed me?"

"Indeed. You can call me Grandpa Rob."

"I'm Lyssa."

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Lyssa," he then gestured over to the other three kids, "They wouldn't leave your side for a second when you lost consciousness."

When I turned my attention to them Jellal and I locked eyes for a second. He looked surprised but immediately started to run over to me, almost tripping over his own two feet in the process. Simon and Erza were shocked by his sudden movements but quickly followed him after seeing me.

"Lyssa," Jellal said with immense relief in his voice, "Thank god you're awake."

"Hey Jellal," I said with a small smile, "Simon, and Erza."

Simon gave me a small nod while the girl gave a bright smile.

"How are you feeling?" Jellal asked.

"Better than I was, I guess. Umm, have you guys seen William since I was out?"

"Yeah. Jellal and I managed to tell him you were with us. He was relieved when he found out. He thought they had killed you."

"I'm lucky I am alive..." I said as I moved my hand and started run my fingers over the part of the bandage where my left eye was.

"I can't believe they did this to you. It's monstrous, I mean, we're still human beings!" Jellal's anger was tangible through his voice.

"Jellal. It was my actions that caused this. I killed one of the guards, after all. I wasn't surprised I was tortured."