Chapter 9

A new book, this one thick but seemed to be a book of many different recipes for baked goods from foreign lands. Eyes watching for a reaction, good or bad. @*%!$?/& was always like this, always calculating reactions to everything. Like it was the only thing she grew up doing. “Do you…like it? I know you like to bake so I thought this would be a good gift…” Irina smiled at her friend “I love it! Thank you so much @*%!?/&!”

        Irina hums as she mixes some batter, "Oh! Aether can you go to the market and get me some more flour? I'm almost out!" Aether nods. "I'll be back soon!" Irina waves as Aether makes his way towards the market, "Oh! Hello there!" A strange man with indigo hair and a large hat approaches Irina. "... What are you making?" Irina blinks and smiles, "I'm making cupcakes! I'm Irina! What's your name?"

         The man scoffs, "Just call me Wanderer. I was just passing by." Irina smiles, "I see! Would you like to watch?" Wanderer slightly smiles, "You're still the same..." Irina tilts her head. "What was that?" Wanderer shakes his head, "It's nothing. I'll watch." Irina chuckles and continues to bake. Wanderer stares at Irina, he silently reminisces about the old times he spent with Irina.

         Irina feels a gentle tug on her skirt, "Hello ma'am." Irina turns to see a small girl with white hair and green eyes. "Oh my gosh...." The little girl tilts her head, "You're so cute!!!" Irina wipes her hands and hugs the little girl, "I'm Irina! What's your name sweetie?" The little girl smiles sweetly. "I'm Nahida! Can I maybe help you?" Irina hugs Nahida and rubs her cheek against Nahida's head.

        "Of course!! You can help me make chocolate chip cookies!" Nahida's eyes glimmer, "Okay!" Irina grabs a stool and places it down. Irina helps Nahida place all the ingredients into the bowl, "Do you want to stir, Sweetie?" Nahida nods and begins to stir. "You did so well! Thank you for all your help, Sweetie!" Nahida nods and smiles.

       "Oh, lesser lord Ku-" Nahida quickly grabs a cupcake and throws it at a taller man with silver hair. The cupcake hits his mouth, "Mmhp.." Irina gasps, "Oh my! Are you alright?" Irina grabs a towel and wipes his face. "I'm fine... I'm Alhaitham." Irina nods, "I'm so sorry about the cupcake!" Alhaitham nods. "Right I was trying to get-" Alhaitham looks behind Irina.... He witnesses Nahida in the position to throw another cupcake.

         Nahida shakes her head and holds the cupcake up, "... Nevermind. The cupcake was good..." Irina blinks, "Oh! Okay...! Thank you..!" Nahida slowly sets the cupcake down. Irina turns and softly scolds Nahida, "Sweetie, we don't throw cupcakes at random people!" Nahida plays with her hands and nods, "Okay... I'm sorry..." Irina sighs and hugs Nahida again.  Wanderer covers his mouth with his hand. He chuckles silently, "I didn't realize she would go that far to keep her godly hood a secret..." Wanderer gazes at Irina hugging Nahida with a type of longing in his eyes...

          ' "Scaramouche? Are you okay?" Scaramouche stares at Irina, "Why..... Why are you so.... Nice to me?" Irina blinks and smiles sweetly. "It doesn't matter to me that you're a harbinger or a puppet! To me, you're Scaramouche!" Scaramouche's eyes widened, "You...." Irina walks towards Scaramouche and gently hugs him. Scaramouche's eyes widened, he didn't realize how much he wanted this kind of attention.... "Irina...." Irina shakes her head and sighs. "Scaramouche.... Please come back from Sumeru safely..... I'll be here for you!" '

       Aether runs back, "Irina! I got the flour!" Irina smiles and claps, "Thank you so much, Aether!" Aether sets down the flour. "Nahida? Is that you?" Nahida smiles, "It's me!" Nahida locks eyes with Aether and stares him down. "O-Oh! I see...!" 'I wonder why Nahida wants to hide the fact she is Sumeru's archon from Irina....' Aether watches Irina baby and hug Nahida. "I think I know why now...."

      "Oh! Irina!" Irina turns her head, "Yes, Aether?" Aether hands Irina a dark blue ribbon, "I saw this while I was getting flour.... I got it for you!" Irina smiles brightly and hugs Aether. "Thank you so much Aether!!! I'll cherish it!!!" Irina grabs the ribbon and gazes at it....

         A hand waved, red and violet was only violet now. A gift in hand, most likely being a book. Yet when Irina opened it it was a knitted sweater. @*%!$?/& looked shy but said they learned how to make one so Irina could have more warm clothes. It was sweet, a real kind gift. It was a sweet birthday gift

        "Are you okay, Irina?" Irina blinks. "Oh.. I'm alright! Just thinking about an old friend.." Aether smiles and hugs Irina, "We can take a break tomorrow... I'll take you to the festival party!" Irina feels her cheeks growing hotter.... "Really...? Okay!" Irina hugs Aether back, she must have gotten too much sun today...