Chapter 7- Do You Want to Know a Secret?

Jacqueline stood stock-still at her doorstep as if she were encased in ice. Her heart thundered in her chest as she watched George drive away. Every nerve in her brain told her to chase after his car, to demand more answers, and yet all she could do was stare.

She turned around, shifting her attention from the road to the front of her house. Her gaze flicked from the front door to the living room window. She saw her mother pacing frantically inside. Her eyes were glazed with anger- or maybe it was hurt, Jacqueline couldn't tell. All she knew is she had never seen this look on her mothers face before, and it scared her.

"I think you and mummy ought to have a little chat about her past."

His words stuck to her brain like a leech. She'd never been told anything about her mothers past, and she hadn't asked either. It was a mystery now begging to be unraveled thanks to George.

The knot in her stomach felt like it had grown to the size of a truck as she slowly opened the front door. She wholly expected her mother to start screaming, or to at least confront her about being in George's car. There was nothing Jacqueline hated more than confrontation, especially with her own parents.

Her mother hadn't stopped pacing. She was so deep in her thoughts it was as if she hadn't even noticed her daughters arrival. Using her absentmindedness to her advantage, Jacqueline dropped her bag by the door and began walking up the stairs, only to be stopped halfway by her mothers voice.

"Did he hurt you?" Asked Jean, who was now standing at the foot of the stairs. Jacqueline sighed.

"No. He gave me a ride home, that's all."

"If he so much as laid a finger on you I-"

"He didn't, Mum. I promise."

Jacqueline sauntered down the steps and took a seat on the second to last stair. Her mother sat down beside her, burying her head in her hands.

"How do you know George?" Said Jacqueline after several seconds of silence.

"I don't."

"He knows who you are, Mum. He says you have a past. What's going on?"

"Nothing, Jacqueline. I don't know why he would say such a thing. We met once- briefly. That was all. There is no "past."

Her mother's voice went up an octave, something that always happened when she was being fictitious. However, It didn't matter if she was telling the truth or not, Jacqueline was always taught not to question the integrity of her parents.

"What happened when you met?" She pressed on.

"Nothing. We met, that was it."

Jacqueline let out a breathy laugh, "You must understand how confusing this is for me."

"You know what's confusing me, Jacqueline? I've told you time and time again to stay away from boys and you've done nothing to respect my wishes. Accepting rides from strange men, lying about where you've been..."

"I'm not trying to disrespect you. George's son is my only friend!  He's been so nice to me, and Lord knows I haven't done a single thing to deserve it."

"How many times do I need to explain this to you? One day you're friends, the next he'll be trying to steal your purity! Your most precious, God given gift Jacqueline! Is he even interested in courting you for marriage?"

"I'm eighteen years-old mother! I'm not thinking about courtship, or marriage, or any of that! I simply want to enjoy my last year of school and because of Dhani I've actually able to do that."

"I should have never let you talk me into changing schools. Look what it's done to you. The old Jacqueline would have never acted like this!"

"Don't you care about how I feel at all? Don't you understand how hard it is to make friends when you're constantly having to explain why your religion forbids you from doing practically anything? Everyone thinks I'm weird, Mum. Everyone except Dhani."