Part 1- Welcome to High Lake

Jacqueline stood in front of the principals desk with her mother by her side, staring absentmindedly at the clock. Her nerves were shot already, and she hadn't even set foot in a classroom yet.

"Alright, perfect. I think you're all set, Ms. Jensen." Principal Forester stated as he looked up from his papers.

"Ms. Jensen?"

"Yes, that's great. Thank you." She replied with the most polite smile she could muster.

"Is that everything, Mr. Forester? Is she free to go?" Jacqueline's mother Jean finally spoke up.

"I believe so! If Jacqueline feels up to it, she's welcome to tour the campus." He smiles. "And Jacqueline, Basketball practice is going on right now in the gym if you'd like to go watch! It may be the perfect opportunity for you to meet some new friends."

Jacqueline grinned half-heartedly, "Maybe. Thanks principal Forester."

"My pleasure. Welcome to High Lake Academy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The mother and daughter exited the principal's office and headed back to the parking lot. On the way, Jacqueline caught a glimpse inside of the gym. She could see that there were a lot of people in the stands, and she turned to her mother.

"Honey, I don't know if that's such a good idea." Jean warned with a stern look.

"But principal Forester said it'd be a good way to meet friends. Look! The stands are full! I want to go watch, mum. Please?"

Jean sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, "Alright fine. Make sure you're home on time for dinner, okay?"

"Yes mum, always."

"And remember, if you meet any boys- make sure you sternly yet politely tell them you're not interested in befriending them. You need to stay on the right path."

"But mum, girls can be friends with boys. It doesn't always-"

"Jacqueline, even if the boys here are nice it will only lead to temptation. The only man you should have your eyes on is God. Understand?"

"Yes mum." Jacqueline's voice faltered as she looked down at the promise ring wrapped securely around her finger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jacqueline took a seat at the very top of the bleachers, giving her a perfect view of the court. She watched the boys play and focused on the ball, though she didn't know the slightest thing about the game. Her mother and father never allowed her to participate in sports, or even watch them on television. In fact, she wasn't allowed to participate in anything that didn't glorify God in some type of way.

It took nearly the whole summer for her to convince her parents to even let her attend a public school like High Lake for her senior year. In the end it came down to the simple fact that she was eighteen and could make her own decisions. After threatening to enroll herself with or without their blessing, they were finally persuaded- but even still, they hated the idea of her transferring and possibly being corrupted by the secular environment.

"Hey, is this seat taken?" A boys voice asks from a few steps below, capturing her attention.

"This one?" Jacqueline responds and points to the space next to her.

"Yeah, silly." He laughs.

"No, it's not." She replies meekly, feeling a bit frightened by his intrusion.

"Good."

The boy takes a seat and wipes the sweat off of his face with the towel around his neck, then offers her his hand. She shakes it hesitantly.

"Dhani Harrison." He grins proudly.

"Jacqueline Jensen. Nice to meet you."

"Ah, JJ!"

"I'm sorry?"

"I get to call you JJ! Seeing as your name has two J's!" He chuckles.

"Oh. Um, yeah. I guess that's okay."

"So JJ, I don't believe I've ever seen you around here before? Are you new?"

Jacqueline felt herself tense up at Dhani's question. She remembered what her mother said about talking to boys, and didn't want to disobey her. However, she couldn't be rude to Dhani- and he was the only person to reach out to her so far.

"I just transferred from New Hope."

"The Bible college?" He laughs, earning a scowl from Jacqueline.

"Yes, The Bible college."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." He apologized sincerely, "How come you transferred?"

Reluctant to tell him the truth, she responded with, "No reason. Just thought it seemed like a nice place."

"Alright, cool. Well, welcome to hell JJ!"

"Hell?" She gasped and turned towards him.

"Calm down, It's a joke! I'm only saying that because the teachers here are a bit strict and the students can be wankers. You don't have to worry about any of that though, I'll watch out for you." He winks.

"Couldn't be any worse than where I came from." Jacqueline adds quietly.

"Really? Tell me about it!" He beams excitedly.

"Maybe some other time. I've actually got to go now."

"Go where? Don't you want to watch the rest of the practice?"

"I wish I could, but my mum is making dinner and she'll be very disappointed if I'm late."

"Oh, alright. I understand. Well, it was nice meeting you JJ! I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

She nodded, "Nice meeting you too, Dhani."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

😈😈😈😈