Chapter 8: Creature Fear

content warning: graphic depictions of violence and assault

I turned and ran, to save a life I didn't have.

~)(~

Anya was sitting on the back of a cart filled to the brim with bags of food and supplies. I bundled her up in a thick fur coat that looked ten times as large as her. Her legs kicked in the air, and she smiled wide at me as I walked up to her.

"So, where will you go now?" She asked. I sat beside her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder to hug her.

"North. And you?"

"Mrs. Florence wants me to stay with her for a while. She's going to the Summer Court. I've never been. Is it as beautiful as they say?" She asked, eyes sparkling with excitement.

I nodded. "From what I hear, yes. I'm sure you'll love it there."

"I'll make sure she sees all the wonders of it," Mrs. Florence said, walking up to us. She was dressed in travel clothes, with a leather overcoat and work-boots.

I got off the wagon and said to Anya, "have fun, okay?"

She nodded and waved at me when I walked back a few steps. Mrs. Florence climbed into the front of the cart, along with a man, and called a group of children that were playing in the snow. At least four of them climbed into the wagon around Anya, talking to her with large smiles.

I crossed my arms over myself and took a deep breath. My head snapped to the side when someone said, "she's in good hands, I can promise you that." Azriel was standing next to me, dressed in his leathers and an overcoat that somehow allowed his wings to tower above him.

"I know, I'm just... I don't know. I want to make sure she's okay," I said.

"Why?"

I couldn't help but smile a bit. It was a sad smile, one that didn't feel like it should exist. "She... she reminds me of myself."

He gave me this look. This look of interest and a hint of worry that made his eyes heavy. I felt my body tense with the remembrance of a moment so distant it was closer to a dream. A time when I was so young, I didn't understand what was happening.

"It's nothing," I said, before walking away.

He ran up to me and grabbed my arm, spinning me around to look at him. I snatched my arm away from him as he said, "I'm just trying to know you better."

I shook my head. "Well... well I don't. Believe me when I say you don't want to know me. Please, just—forget I said anything."

I started walking back towards the inn. The metal sign rocked and squeaked in the wind. Inside, it was quiet and warm. I sat in the armchair by the fireplace and let out a sigh.

My eyes closed and I let my head fall back against the cushion. If only life could be easy for me. That was the price I had to pay for the blood I held.

There was a commotion outside. I lifted my head and had no time to react when the entire building burst into flames around me.

I leapt from the chair and into the center of the room, where I dropped to my knees to keep from inhaling the smoke that surrounded me. Everything was on fire. It was burning hot around me, making my eyes sting. Flames lapped at my feet.

I tried getting to the door, but the fire blocked the way out. It rose and danced across the ceilings, skidded across the rugs, and hugged all the curtains and paintings that now bubbled. People were screaming. I couldn't find where they were. The flames were too loud.