Chapter 21: Politics And Love Make Terrible Company

You don't need him, you don't need me. With that poisoned bottle, you'll be free. But be damn sure you don't mix it up with mine.

~)(~

Nalia followed me, having to hold her skirts up so she wouldn't trip on the steps. "I still think this is a terrible idea."

I reached the top of the stairs and walked over to where Miryam was standing. I could hear the distant sound of people talking and shouting below. She was biting on her nails and dropped her hand when she saw me.

"Anything?" I asked, standing beside her. Nalia reached us and dropped her skirts in a huff as she gulped air.

Miryam shook her head. "Jurian doesn't like it either. Apparently, it's against the rules of engagement for them not to announce their presence."

"It's Hybern we're talking about—they'll probably wait till the last second," I said, crossing my arms. "Everything's ready, though?"

"This morning they poured the oil. The archers will be positioned around them and up here, and scouts will patrol the hills."

I nodded. "Do you know where Azriel is?"

She raised a brow, then looked over the ledge. "Talking to Jurian. He looks way too calm for this."

I laughed. "He's too calm about everything. I'll see you when it starts."

She smiled. "That is, if you can keep yourself from going out there and picking up your own sword."

I huffed a laugh. "Please, I hate swords. I'd rather be up here with a bow in hand."

"Ah, yes. I forgot it was you that shot Beron in the foot."

Nalia followed me back down the stairs. I took a sharp turn towards the open doors of the main entrance and slithered through the crowd of soldiers. Eventually, they cleared up enough so I could see where Jurian stood and I headed that way.

I reached him and announced my presence by reaching over and ruffling his hair.

"I don't think—what in," he spun around and said, "Seriously? I spent all morning on this."

"Sure you did." I couldn't help but grin. "I have to steal away Azzie for a bit. Hope you don't mind."

Jurian laughed. "If you two want to talk, do it as far away as possible."

I gave him a vulgar gesture, to which he tipped his head back in a cackle.

Azriel followed me to a far corner of the entrance to the mountain, tucked behind one of the open stone doors. I needed to make sure others wouldn't hear us talking.

"Azzie, that's a new one," he said once I stopped walking and turned back around.

I waved a hand. "Don't bring it up again."

"Oh, but I like it."

I rolled my eyes and said, "This is serious. Have you heard anything back from him?"

"Yes—yes. Are you finally going to tell me why the High Lord can't know?"

I crossed my arms. "It was very clear that no one knew about it. I don't want to mess anything up."

"Except you're not going to use that spell," he said, tilting his head.

"Unless I want to die, which I don't."

Something passed through his eyes. Like a lightbulb went off. "That spell will kill you? It killed you in the vision?"

I remembered seeing myself fall, but didn't look long enough to really see if I was dead. I shrugged. "Possibly... likely."