Chapter 36: How Can You Live?

Nobody said it was easy, No one ever said it would be this hard. Oh, take me back to the start.

~)(~

I studied the path drawn on the map of Prythian. Jurian had circled two spots, one in the Winter Court and one against the border between Dawn and Day Court. Two places to spend the night for a four-day journey. This was my hell. I was sure of it.

Anya eyed me from the side, trying to hold back a smile at my displeased expression. I only let her join because I didn't want to deal with a furious nineteen-year-old. Twice already, I had to stop her from chewing her fingers off from anxiety. She picked up the habit from me, which meant my responsibility was to stop her.

Jurian at least tried to look upset for me and was much better at hiding his amusement than Cassian, who failed to cover his laugh with a cough. I was ready to bang my head against the table until I passed out. At least then, I could be unconscious for the trip.

The sun slowly rose from behind the clouds, casting a bluish light through the windows. The serene and chilly morning air was likely the only thing keeping me awake. I'd have to get back at Cassian for that—getting drunk last night was a horrible idea.

"The goal is to make it to the first waystation by tomorrow night, then the second by day three. That is if you keep a fast pace." Jurian sent Cassian a pointed look.

The Illyrian feigned offence. "I am always on time. And we can always winnow straight over."

"No, we can't. I don't have the energy for two people," I grumbled, already dreading every second of this. If I had just said no, none of this would be happening... but I just had to make life more complicated.

"I can winnow," Cassian said, hands on his hips.

I rolled my eyes. "You winnowed once, and it was five feet—and that was a year ago."

"You're winnowing us?" I glanced at the shadowsinger, who sat slumped in his chair. He looked like he hadn't slept either, with dark circles and weighted eyelids giving him a strangely soft appearance.

"Yes, but I'm not good at it. Otherwise, we wouldn't need two stops and multiple jumps."

Jurian sighed. "Anyway, we already planned the jump points. All you two have to do is behave and ensure she doesn't overexert herself."

"You double-checked that it's safe?" Anya asked Jurian. He nodded, and she continued with her interrogation. "And the waypoints? You made sure they're our allies."

"For the third time, Anya, yes." Jurian pat her on the shoulder. "And we ensured they had enough food, and Miryam packed a medical bag."

"And who's waiting for them when they arrive?" Anya crossed her arms and huffed, her nerves palpable.

"Rhysand, probably with the entire entourage," Cassian answered this time. He looked like he was on the verge of falling asleep. Half his face was squished from the hand holding his head up, leaning dramatically against the tabletop.

"Are you alright with that, Arcitta?" Jurian asked. I nodded, even though I didn't want to.

Cassian's question made me want to sink into my chair. He stood, gesturing to me, "So we're still calling her that? Even though it's not even her real name?"

"Is that a problem?" Jurian asked, a lethal look in his eyes.

Cassian huffed. "Yeah, it's a bit of a problem. I understand you guys have a history, but look at it from my perspective. I've known her for five years—fought and almost died for her. And suddenly, I found out she wasn't raised on a farm, her parents didn't die from old age, and she never had a sister. Instead, she's the fucking princess of Hybern, her parents were murdered in front of her, and Nalia wasn't her sister, but her handmaiden."