Chapter 12: Just You And Me

You and I drink the poison from the same vine.

~)(~

I didn't think such a place could feel like home. Especially when I've only been there a few weeks. But Erast was growing on me. Mor left for the Night Court only a few days after we won the Western Pass. She was very adamant about staying until the celebrations were over.

I found it odd that everyone celebrated winning this battle. It was just one fraction of a larger war. How could they be so... so happy for something so small? I obviously needed to get rid of my pessimistic nature, but that would take entirely too long.

Jurian and his men were still preparing permanent camps through the pass to protect it, and I knew we were going to follow them to the Summer Court, where Rhysand was. I didn't know if I would see him again once there, but could only hope we might run into him.

Miryam walked over and sat opposite me at the little table outside a bakery. The late morning sun made me squint and have to put a hand over my eyes. She took a deep breath and looked around.

"I never thought a place like this could exist."

I nodded slowly, following her gaze. "I had to pinch myself to be sure I wasn't dreaming."

She laughed and leaned her head on a hand. "Jurian said we should be leaving any day now. I can't wait to see more of this land."

I smiled. "Hopefully, we can both see everything when all this is over."

"We will. I know we will." Her smile was brighter than the sun. She brushed her hair from her face and said, "I don't like thinking of the 'what if' situation. It takes me out of the moment, and the little wins that keep me going."

I sighed. "Perhaps you can teach me to think that way."

She reached out a hand to hold mine, her warm skin shocking against my cold fingers. "In time... you won't need to learn. I didn't."

The wind blew through the street and made the trees rustle like bells, kicking up fallen leaves and rogue dirt. I looked around and felt... I wasn't sure what I felt. It was something entirely new to me, something that warmed me up inside and made me smile. Was it hope?

I tried not to seem surprised. Everyone felt hope at some point in their life, even me. But it was always so short-lived. It never felt like this—like it could go on and on forever. With no point to it, no reason. Just... there. Because it could be.

I walked down the street with Miryam, who was talking about how she met Mor. The story was so sad, and yet she laughed and smiled. I guess, when looking back on something that hurt, sometimes you can find the joy in it, and realize that it's never entirely bad—and never entirely good.

Perhaps that was my problem, then. I always dealt in absolutes. It was all bad, or all good. With everything. But that's not how life worked, not how people worked. There was always this grey line—one which everything passed at some point.

I wondered how many times I'd crossed that line, but couldn't think about it when my thoughts were completely interrupted by a loud and honestly unwanted voice.

"Hello, ladies." Jurian fell into step beside Miryam and linked his arm with hers.

I tried not to smile at him, tried so hard to look annoyed. "What do we owe the pleasure?"

"Just say you can't stand me. I know I'm too perfect for you," he joked, making Miryam giggle. "Actually, I'm here to say that we're finally leaving this place for the Summer Court—that is, if you're still coming with us."