20

"She slapped you so hard, you had a red mark on your cheek for three days," Lux says trying to control her laughing as she wipes under her eyes. "Well at least it ended well," Austin says chuckling when he pushes his tongue into his cheek and gesturing with his hand for the head she had given him back in her apartment. "Fuck off," she says throwing a slice of uneaten cucumber at him when she starts laughing again. Their laughing dies down and Austin sighs. "Was a good time, traumatic, but good," Austin says.

"We had a few of those."

"Yeah...wasn't all bad."

Lux's smile fades but Austin is not wrong. He had her laughing till her stomach hurt - but that's the thing. When it was good it was fucking good, when it was bad it was fucking bad - there was no in-between and the bad outweighed the good in the end.

Lux watches as her uncle Frank floats by their table on his back. "Come on in girl, the water is fine," he says then floats away. "Come on," Austin says standing and taking off his hat then pulling his shirt off over his head, Lux turns her head so she can't see his muscles flex. She hates them, his muscles are disgusting. "I am not coming in," she says. "Either you come in on your own accord or I drag you in kicking and screaming," Austin says. Lux sighs heavily then stands and takes off her stetson too along with her sarong, grabbing one of Austin's bottles from the table she wades behind him to deeper waters.

They join the group consisting of Demi, Shawn, all the groomsmen, and bridesmaids including Chance and Austin's cousin. They all have bottles of Austin's wine that they sip on and talk shit. Eventually, though, they all drift off into dark corners leaving Lux alone with Austin. "I would have thought you would have drifted off with the three bridesmaids by now," Lux says.

"I told you I am not interested."

"So? You had them huddled under the tree earlier."

"You jealous, Lux?"

"Hardly. Don't flatter yourself."

"I was telling them how I felt. Making sure there is no miscommunication," Austin says floating closer to her, his hand accidentally brushing against her thigh. It gives her goosebumps. They stay quiet, floating around each other and passing the wine between them. Lux feels like her body gets pulled towards his naturally and before long they are constantly bumping into each other accidentally. It's not on purpose. "You look pretty in the moonlight," Lux says then snorts when Austin looks at her with a cocked eyebrow. "I think someone likes my wine...from my vineyard...in the south of France," Austin says then laughs. "South of France," Lux repeats in a posh Engish accent then snorts again bumping into Austin who wraps his arm around her waist. She does not try to move back.

"Hey," Shawn says as he and Demi float back toward them. "The hotel staff are making a bonfire on the beach for us. Are you guys keen to join us?" Demi asks. "Fuck yeah," Lux says slinging her arm over Austin's shoulder. "I am drunk, you will need to take over from here," Lux says taking another sip from the wine bottle. "How much wine have you had?" Austin asks. "Between one and two bottles...so, fourish," Lux says. "Ok, let's just hand this to Harry to keep safe," Austin says taking the wine bottle and handing it to Harry. "He is drunk too," Lux says. "We all are," Austin says chuckling then moving with her slowly through the water.

"I will never admit it out loud but you did good with your wine," Lux whispers.

"And I will never say thank you."

"You just did."

Austin helps her back to the beach and keeps his hand around her waist as they both wobble slightly up the sand toward the huge bonfire. He keeps her steady while he takes two oversized towels from the resort staff and wraps her up in one then wraps the other around himself. They sit in the sand near the fire and then Lux leans on him as Shawn hands him a beer. She keeps quiet, her eyes growing heavy while Austin laughs and talks with his friends, she could almost be forgiven for feeling like she is nineteen again and sitting on her couch in their apartment while Austin plays video games with her pressed against his side.